Reaction score
Due to a change in financial circumstances :( I'm taking the rather hard decision to suspend my insurance policy (a huge cost for me being 20) and lay #110 up until maybe spring or early summer next year. That way I'll be saved from renewing my insurance again in June as I can potentially restart my policy using the leftover months of cover I haven't used, providing I restart it again in June or before.

Basically I'm after any advice about what steps I should take when leaving the car unused for maybe 6 months? I have a really secure and dry garage lined up in a safe postcode so that's sorted. I was going to:

-thoroughly wash, wax and hoover car
-put it up on wooden blocks to save suspension/flat spots in tyres
-thoroughly clean wheel arches/underside
-disconnect battery
-purchase plug-in anti-rodent device for garage!
-put on dust cover

If anyone has any other pointers it would be much appreciated. I really don't want to have to do this but its looking like my only option as selling the car is totally out of the question. I just want to make sure there are no problems when I come to take her out again.

Cheers.

Reaction score
I left my Old 172 cup standing for 4-5 months. Sadly didn't have a garage to store it, just put a cover over it. I washed it every week, gave it a wax every other month, let the engine run until cooling fan kicked in. Let the fans blow through the vents. The only thing that went wrong was the starter motor started playing up.

Other than that I think you've covered most things buddy! You can a small fan cover for the car which circulates the air to stop it going stale. A guy I know used to have one on his old series 1 rs turbo

Reaction score
As of Monday my trophy is now off the road for the winter, its replacement is a 300quid bmw 318 that I have prepared for a few road rallys over the next few months. Trophy needs 4 new tyres (possibly ps3s), a new exhaust system (possibly yozza), rear pads and I may change the springs. I'm thinking car cover, disconnect batt, start her up every other weekend and just general tlc while she's off the road. Oh and claim the road tax back.

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies guys. Its looking like suspending my insurance will just be too problematic as it means I can't drive other cars. #110 is still going to be put away for the winter though unless I fancy the odd run out. Unlikely though. I shall however enjoy the 180 mile run down to her winter residence! :D

Reaction score
Make sure you get decent cover, i put a cheap one from halfords on mine while i was at uni but stopped using it in the end ans it was getting damp inside the car, so it only stayed on for about 2 weeks!

Reaction score
I dont know any personally but make sure you get one that is fully breathable

Reaction score
Agree with the above. My dad stored his old xr3i, he didn't use a cover as they tend to hold damp underneath them with temperature changes. If you store indoors just throw a thin white sheet to keep dust off, nothing weather proof.

I left my 172 sitting on the drive for 8 months when I went travelling, no covers or anything. I had someone start it each month and drive it forwards and back, whist putting some steering locks in, to avoid it sitting on the same tyre spot.

I got home, washed it and changed the oil. Car felt quick after all the hire cars I'd been driving!

Reaction score
If it's on wooden blocks this doesn't matter, but if it's still on it's wheels don't apply the handbrake. They seize on and can cause a nightmare. I have two cars in storage and have used this cover company. One in dry covered storage, the other outside.

http://www.classicadditions.com/

http://www.classicadditions.com/heavydu ... 47_62.html

The outdoor one 'heavyduty waterproof' is good. But I've heard great things about covers made out of DuPont Tyvek.

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/uses ... overs.html

Indoor one pretty well just a cotton sheet. Fully breathable though

http://www.classicadditions.com/soft-in ... -1_64.html

The idea of something to keep rodents out is great. Last thing you want is some little shit chewing through your wiring loom or eating the foam out the rear bench.