Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trying to track down the cause, hoping someone else can offer a potential cause. For the last year I would say my T has handled slightly off. The positive feel to the steering has gone and I want to try and get this back.

So far I have had the following done on the car:

- Lower suspension arm/ball joint replaced a year ago
- Dampers were refurbished last in August
- New front tyres 3 months ago

Over all the turn in just seems a bit slower and not as responsive as normal. I guess its down to age so bushes etc could be getting soft or the other thing I thought is possibly rear dampers as the car does seem to roll a lot too.

Thoughts?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
my first thoughts would be front then rear dampers, maybe top mounts or bushes... how worn are the tyres?

Reaction score
probably top mounts or bushes or a combination of both.......or it could possibly be your imagination, not saying your daft but once you think summat feels different on a car the mind can play tricks

Reaction score
This is just a guess but wheel alignment? Ive recently had mine done and one of the things i noticed most was the better steering feel.

is1

Reaction score
If it's a tail off in steering feel, just out of interest, which make/model of tyres at the front? If it's Michelin PE2 or PS3 and you've had the dampers and the ball joints done, then I'm stumped. Maybe worn steering rack bushes or anti-roll bar bushes that may have introduced some slop?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Shame you didn't get those STM fitted in the end. I have spare OE (with very few miles on) if you wanted to borrow to see if that makes a difference.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Dan493 said:
This is just a guess but wheel alignment? Ive recently had mine done and one of the things i noticed most was the better steering feel.

Forgot to mention I had this done when I put the dampers back in after the referb

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
nickboazracing said:
Back to basics chaps - tyre pressures?

You state a singular "Lower suspension arm/ball joint". Was it just one or a pair?

Checked these too.

Had the pair replaced due to wear in both of them.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
is1 said:
If it's a tail off in steering feel, just out of interest, which make/model of tyres at the front? If it's Michelin PE2 or PS3 and you've had the dampers and the ball joints done, then I'm stumped. Maybe worn steering rack bushes or anti-roll bar bushes that may have introduced some slop?

PE2's that were fitted around 2/3 months ago.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hhhmmm, could be subjective... i'd be thinking bushes or dampers then - maybe get Ben to have a looksy at BG MS.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I had the dampers done around 1/2 months ago. No change really in the handling department compared to before.

Reaction score
I've always said that my car doesn't feel like it did when I test drove it. However, that was five years ago. Since then I've learned how to push the car to its limits and I've also discovered honda engined elises. I put it down to this. The R1R's help the back end. I also want STM's and MF rear springs and dampers, but the last two services have been nearly £1000 and the next one will be brakes again. I haven't found a money window yet lol. The Iphone 4 is top though. =D>

Reaction score
I changed my top mounts at 28k for K-tec alloy mounts & the improvement to the steering was fantastic. Much sharper with more feedback & a little more delicate where smaller inputs would reward with greater interaction with the wheels as no rubber bush absorbing some of the feedback & feel.

I'm shortly going to fit a Whiteline rear anti-roll bar as I've been very impressed by the items I've fitted to other cars, Celica GT4 ST205 rear anti-roll bar to replace standard item made turn in superb & near eliminated any understeer the car had. And updated front plus additional rear to a Suzuki Ignis Sport which like the Clio has no rear bar as standard made it hyperactive with razor sharp turn in flat through the longer bends & less wheelspin on inside wheel on exiting tight bends, they added a level of nervousness to the car that I really liked.

After hearing good reports on these bars fitted to clios, I can't wait, should compliment the Mark Fish springs & rear Koni dampers I already have.