Reaction score
Just a thought but i was wondering if it was possible to replace the manual set up in the Trophy with the digital climate control from the full fat 182?

I'm thinking its not going to be as simple as swapping the panels and hooking up the wiring - but you never know. I have no knowledge of whats going on behind the panel for the heater controls but wondered if someone else might?

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
PMSL, why dont you come out and say what you really think Steve :lol:

I imagine its not just the front panel, but a control box of some sort that the air flows through. There's also the sensor on the overhead panel that it needs too.

Reaction score
Full fat envy. I love it.

I had one of you trophy boys wanting to put my alacantera interior panels in today as well.

:wink:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Gareth said:
Steve said:
Don't mean to be rude but you two are heat intolerant pussies!

:lol:

:p

and while i'm there i'll also have the Xenons too :wink:

You'll be banging on about changing the sachs for leda's next :lol:

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Gareth said:
Steve said:
Don't mean to be rude but you two are heat intolerant pussies!

:lol:

:p

and while i'm there i'll also have the Xenons too :wink:

You'll be banging on about changing the sachs for leda's next :lol:

nah i'm gonna fit some apex springs and get the ttrophy decked to the floor innit :wink:

Reaction score
Certainly was - 10 kg weight saving.
10 kg weight saving for omitting Xenon's too.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
This was part of my argument over on RS, so with those two and the rear bench and other bits and bobs what was the total weight saving?

Reaction score
Cant be as much as 10kg each for those items as i thought there was only a 20kg difference in total between the FF and Cup? 10kg for Xenons maybe but where would the 10kg difference come in between manual air con and climate?

And that would be without factoring in the savings from ditching all that leather & alcantara on the seats and door cards, three rear headrests, split fold rear seat, side airbags, plastic seatbelt cover things, rubberised interior door handles, cabasse stereo, auto lights & wipers, engine cover, etc. Thats all gotta add up to another couple of grams at least ;)

To be honest though i think some of Renaults aims on the Cup were not just about weight saving, it was about cost cutting too. :!:

Reaction score
Of course they were, just like with the 172 Cup, that's why it was cheaper. The whole point was so people could bin the interior and track it! All those other bits contribute too but I think the main items for weight loss were the deletion of;

Climate Control
Xenon lights
6 CD changer.

Probably why Renault sold 2392 172 Cups (Proper Cups LOL!) in Britain and only 539 182 Cups. People just thought 'what's the point?' and bought FF 182's with Cup suspension and Cup spoiler packs (3967 out of 5222 182 FF's had the Cup suspension pack specified).

In my opinion the Trophy was the proper 'Cup' for the 182. Might not have been a whole lot lighter but at least they reduced the unsprung weight by fiitting lighter wheels.

Reaction score
To be honest though i think some of Renaults aims on the Cup were not just about weight saving, it was about cost cutting too.

That, and the marketing value of claiming to be selling a "stripped out racer".

My dad and I were discussing this the other day:

172FF to 172 Cup: 80kg weight saving
182FF to 182 Cup: 20kg weight saving, ie 60 kg less saving than 172.

By my calculations therefore, at this rate of change of 60kg less weight saving, the 197 Cup will weigh 40 kg more than the 197FF!

Reaction score
The 197 Cup would weigh 5 kg less than the 197 at that rate. Reducing by 75% each time. In actuality it will weigh exactly the same as the 197, because the limited edition 197 F1 R27 weighs the same and is the forerunner to the Cup 'pack' and this is all the 197 will receive. For the moment.

Reaction score
I think it would probably be a right pain in the backside to swap over to digital climate control mate.

Normally climate control uses small electronic motors to adjust small flaps on the heater box to direct the air flow, to windscreen, in your face or feet etc. The twisty dial setup as in the Trophy uses cables.

So I'd imagine you would need to change the Climate control panel, fit the relevant piece of wiring harness and possibly change the heater box behind the dashboard (which will be the hard bit due to its location)

Reaction score
DaveTrophy said:
I think it would probably be a right pain in the backside to swap over to digital climate control mate.

Normally climate control uses small electronic motors to adjust small flaps on the heater box to direct the air flow, to windscreen, in your face or feet etc. The twisty dial setup as in the Trophy uses cables.

So I'd imagine you would need to change the Climate control panel, fit the relevant piece of wiring harness and possibly change the heater box behind the dashboard (which will be the hard bit due to its location)

Cheers for the info on that Dave, that pretty much tells us what we need to know - not that Steves original posts werent helpful too ;)