BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hello CT :D

Recently I have been getting 24 mpg so I thought something must be up with the car. I had a look at the tyres a couple of days ago but they all looked find, today however, I thought I would check the pressures to make sure they were ok as ive not checked them for a couple of weeks. Anyways one of the back tyres had next to no pressure in it :eek:, they were only fitted a few weeks ago too. I think because of the lack of weight on the rear tyres they still looked inflated but its just the sidewalls were holding the shape.

I was hoping to do a track day on these tyres come May and I basically just want to know if it is safe to do so after it has been repaired, with it being a back tyre I persume it would be, I mean if a fixed tyre is safe for the road then I guess it will be suitable for track ??

Cheers.

Ben.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ben I personally wouldn't take the chance for the sake of 80-90 quid, get it repaired and keep it as a spare. It would probably be fine but it's going to be put under a great deal more stress on track than it's ever likely to see on the road. (well ish :wink: )

Reaction score
If its on the back IMO it should be fine. Big difference on track. My fronts were absolutely destroyed but the backs we fine.

You know what health and safety are like these days if it wont safe they would not allow it. As long as its not near the side wall it would not overly bother me

However it is a fair comment to say for the sake of a new tyre you might not wanna risk it.

Reaction score
I would get a new tyre Ben its not worth the risk to the car or yourself.

OT. Pb I see you enjoyed mallory if you did the fronts in :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
New Tyre it is then.

Tell ya what ill do then. Ill get hold of a second hand Turini and fit the repaired tyre to that, that way I can have spare for track days and for when I go away to France this year to watch Le-Mans 24. :D Its all good.

Thanks for the input guys.

Much appreciated

Ben

Reaction score
Binning tyres at 4mm is not necessary. For track use, road tyres are buffed down to 4mm as this is considered to be the optimum starting point - more tread stability (less shuffle!) and less heat build up. Track tyres also come with 4mm as new.

The only problem with naturally worn tyres is that the wear may not be even, whereas buffed have the orignal profile.

As in all cases, less tread depth does increase the risk of aquaplaning.

Reaction score
George K said:
Binning tyres at 4mm is not necessary. For track use, road tyres are buffed down to 4mm as this is considered to be the optimum starting point - more tread stability (less shuffle!) and less heat build up. Track tyres also come with 4mm as new.

The only problem with naturally worn tyres is that the wear may not be even, whereas buffed have the orignal profile.

"Then i bin/sell my tyres at 4mm anyway."
I should of stated for my road tyres.
Same with wifes motor as soon as half worn time for fresh.
The Germans have 3mm min by law.

Reaction score
g40steve said:
George K said:

"Then i bin/sell my tyres at 4mm anyway."
I should of stated for my road tyres.
Same with wifes motor as soon as half worn time for fresh.
The Germans have 3mm min by law.

wow! Money to burn! Let me know when you're getting rid of some more perfectly useable tyres, I'll have them off you!

As for the original topic:
I would be more concerned about the damage to the sidewall of the flat tyre after driving round on it. Have you had it repaired yet? They may say that it is not safe to use even if it is repairable due to damage over the whole circumference of the sidewalls.

I did a track day in mine without knowing there was a repair in a rear tyre. It was at silvo gp too so a quick one. I had no adverse effects but under normal circumstances I would personally avoid at least dry days and anything other than very cold track temps. As has been said, it's not worth the risk.

Reaction score
shiftspark said:
I would get a new tyre Ben its not worth the risk to the car or yourself.

OT. Pb I see you enjoyed mallory if you did the fronts in :)

Oh yes!! Great day!!

Front left was really bad, defo an MOT failure! PE2s are perfect on the road but cant cope on track, the grip is ok but the side wall gets destroyed. Just fitted some Hankook RS2s so hope they will cope better!!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Im not made of money Max. I want to stick with the PE2's for a few track days first.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I got a new tyre fitted in the end, better being safe that sorry...

Ive got my first track day on Monday, some very nice motors there, 911 GT3, GTR, Caterhams, Exige's, Clio Cup Racer.
Im crapping my pants tbh. [-o<

Ben.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have just found a nail in my other rear tyre, rotten look or what ! :shock:

Its being repaired now so it looks like im going on track with a rapaired tyre anyways now. Its the rear drivers side tyre and the circuit is clockwise so that tyre may be spending most of the time in the air :wink:

Ben

Reaction score
Enjoy it Ben!
Try and book an instructor as soon as you can as the slots go really quick it's well worth it as you learn the track and pick up some tips aswell.