Reaction score
I've bought the Peugeot 106 Rallye LHD from Lee, should be delivered down in the next couple of days. With it's Bilsteins and Eibach upgrades it's kind of a spiritual (older) sister to the Trophy so I thought I'd post on here as most would appreciate the mods he's done to it.

Reaction score
Nice one! :) That really looked like a great car. Hope you shift it to another enthusiast soon :)

O.

Reaction score
I like the 205 Rallye's personally, especially in white, 105bhp from a weber-carbed 1.3 and 735kg, proper go-karts.

Reaction score
I am thinking I'll probably keep it as a day to day car to get about in. I thought about buying to sell it but really it's a bit of a one off that I don't see losing any real value for a long time. I might also continue where Lee started and use it as a trackday car. Let's see.

Reaction score
Excellent chassis, the 106/Saxo, how much does the Rallye weigh? Under 900kg I think, there is a 1.3 and a 1.6 version, I think the earlier 1.3 is the one to have. Make an excellent track toy, full roll cage, two buckets and a blueprinted engine, drive it home again at 40mpg too.

Reaction score
I think the editorial in Evo summed it up a couple of months back when he said about Peugeot used to be the hot hatch kings where they could do no-wrong, and now they are just plain useless! That 206 GTI 180 was a right load of old poo. I hated it. Thank god its dead.

Without digressing, I had a meeting with a fairly important guy within Peugeot and told him that if they dusted off the old moulds and started to produce the 205 gti again, I'd have one tomorrow, in fact maybe even two. His response was that there just isn't the market for that kind of car anymore :roll:

Reaction score
I agree I would buy a 205gti tomorrow if I could it was always the car I wanted when I was younger.

Reaction score
Tomx said:
I agree I would buy a 205gti tomorrow if I could it was always the car I wanted when I was younger.
Am I missing something? Why can't you? I had a pretty good condition one for two years and didn't consider buying another car. Then I test drove the Trophy. Still miss it though.

Reaction score
Ye I know can. I meant a new one without all the problems of a 10 plus year old car. I don't have time to be tinkering about with cars at the weekend.

Reaction score
See how my post has turned into the great bhp/tonne hot hatchback debate :) I cannot see how a cheap, light, low spec hatchback wouldn't sell in large amounts - but sometimes the exclusivity adds to the interest. Put the money in the suspension and not the electric windows and "curtain airbags". But current small hatchbacks have got too big and heavy and superminis are all these bloody odd shapes now :lol:

Reaction score
superminis are all these bloody odd shapes now

Yeah, why do they all have to be so tall and boxy?

I work for a garden centre called Stewarts, and cheap tiny (usually Pacific Rim) cars are our (elderly) customers' cars of choice. hence we call them "Stewarts Cars".

The criteria is being taller than they are wide.

Reaction score
I think the the taller than wide shape eminates from Japan where city road tax is based upon the footprint of the car. Hence you get those (thinner looking) Previas imported and various other stuff. I did the Southampton Jap Import Auction a while back, I'd recommend it as a lunchtime out to see some of those weird cars that they bring over, like the Mk 4? Jag fronted Micras and various other smog infested metal.

I have the 106 Rallye now and it's fantastic fun. The Bilstein suspension and Yokohama tyre setup is insanely grippy. That car is minimalist heaven and being LHD everyone wants to come and have a chat about it.

Reaction score
Sounds like your going to have loads of fun in the 106, hopefully as much fun as i'm having in the Trophy.

It is amazing me all the time i'm driving it, i'm having so much fun,the Porsche wasn't half as much fun as this.
Can't believe i didn't get one of these cars instead of the Porsche!!!

Reaction score
Hey Steve, I'm glad it has arrived safe and sound! If I had kept it, I was tempted to strip out the interior, etc and put some better brakes on it. From the rallye website, the Pug 206 Gti 266mm front discs are a popular and fairly cheap conversion. Also, with a bit of headwork and a decent cam, you'll get more power out of it than a 16V GTi.

Keep us updated with the developments.

Reaction score
Oh the only other thing I was going to say, was you can actually hear how grippy the tyres are as you are driving along! Great fun.

Reaction score
artdealer said:
I think the the taller than wide shape eminates from Japan where city road tax is based upon the footprint of the car. Hence you get those (thinner looking) Previas imported and various other stuff. I did the Southampton Jap Import Auction a while back, I'd recommend it as a lunchtime out to see some of those weird cars that they bring over, like the Mk 4? Jag fronted Micras and various other smog infested metal.

Nismo Nissan Stagea Autech complete with a RB26DETT from the factory.... =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

Reaction score
That Nismo looked more like an illness until I googled it :) Pleased you're enjoying the car wrighty. Lee, I'm on the brake case once I work out how many cars with tax I really need around me! The tyres (on original style wheels) are one of the things that really makes the car.

Reaction score
I've had the throttle body springs checked out as they were sticking on full and the exhaust refitted with new joints. One or two other little bits done to keep it ship shape. Should be back tomorrow and I'll begin to use it more. I'll decide what to do with it once the tax runs out, but the engine mods might be the way ahead. The interior is a) in such nice condition and b) I have no room anywhere for it but in the car! Well for now anyway...

When I get the brakes to fade i'll consider revising them ;)