Reaction score
Hi there - after a very very long sales process, I am from last Wednesday the proud owner of Trophy #478.

The register has more details, but quick summary is got the car, found a number of issues I should have spotted myself - the dealer agreed to take them on and the whole thing took 7 weeks.

I paid a little over market price, but also got a very generous p/x on a car that would have taken ages to sell, so overall decent deal. The 7 week wait was maddening, but the car has new cambelt, new aux belt, plugs, leads, coil pack, TPS sensor and throttle body as part of the work done by the dealer, plus he put new Yoko AD08Rs on as well - plus added an additional 6 month warranty. All in all, happy.

It's good bodywork wise, but has had a couple of whacks and needs tidying. Going to keep a track of gradual upgrades here if OK with you lot!

Mods on the car as purchased are:
1. Janspeed exhaust, looks like put on by a previous owner T7PHY
2. Wiper stalk upgrade

So far changes made are:
1. New Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades (excellent, and worth the money IMO)
2. Replacement gearknob cover plate, as original faded.

In progress (ordered or booked)
1. Contacted SNAPPY for a much needed wheel refurb
2. Wheels booked in for a restoration at the excellent DMC in Newbury. Brake calipers to be painted (black or grey, not red) at the same time.
3. Interior detail booked in at DMC
4. Shock refurb booked at BG Motorsports for Friday 31st. Going to get the struts painted too
5. Replacement Parrot CK3000 contol unit ordered (current one missing a button, which annoys me)
6. Headlight refurb kit arrived Saturday, to be done when the rain stops
7. Tasteful little "Clio Trophy #478" sticker ordered from this forum, to go under the Clio badge

To be planned in the near future:
1. KTR induction kit and remap
2. Maybe a replacement for that exhaust, if research says things can be improved by a more premium version
3. Various dings to be sorted. Have used shinesmartrepair in the past, and results have been perfect
4. Driver's door creaks on it's catch, so need to work out why that is
5. Front carbon splitter from KTR. Dealer replaced the missing one, but looks like the Fabia version
6. Alarm beeping once at lock, twice at unlock. That's a bit annoying, but sure it can be changed somehow.

Where next depends on what I want to do with it. Was originally a purchase for a daily driver and fun car to keep miles off my other car (BMW 1M) which is helpfully appreciating, and doesn't need to commute 1.5k miles per month. I'll either restore it to greatness and improve on it (Alcantara interior for example), or will become more of a focused track/hillclimb car so will add some lightness and maybe ITBs in time. Either way - some money is going into it and it'll be much better than it is now!

So far, love the car- but think the shocks badly in need of a refurb are holding it back a little (you can push the offside down easily; drivers side is fine). One immediate question though: All of my previous performance cars have been turbos, this is the first powerful NA car i've had (well, a hilarious V8 Lexus LS400 aside - but hardly counts!) - am very surprised at how the engine feels after 5k when the power comes in, almost feels turbo-like in how it surges. Is this normal, or should things me more progressive through the rev band?

http://thumbsnap.com/SA83TTKh

http://thumbsnap.com/xxLCXBWN

http://thumbsnap.com/PL7V3mrr

Reaction score
looks tidy :D hope you enjoy it, would not bother with an induction kit, just get a uprated filter ;)

the 5k kick is normal :up: a remap will change that

Reaction score
Is it Keith by any chance??

I live in Newbury and Nick@DMC treated #455 to a detail and CarPro Finest a while back.

The K-Tec induction kit is very good and offers a great sound but be very wary of also having your car mapped at K-Tec, there are a few tales, although personnel may have changed since then.

As Mikey says, the 5k kick is normal. It can be 'smoothed' with a custom remap, which may also help with cold starts and idle. An RS Tuner device and accompanying map from Henk @ Fastchip (.nl) could be an alternative option to consider.

ITBs in the long term sound like a great plan!

Enjoy the car, it'll be a great stablemate for the 1M.

Reaction score
It is - how did you know that? :)

Nick has sorted the 1M out in the past and it's going there next Monday, will get the Clio wheels and calipers done at the same time if he has the time. Top bloke - really loves his work, and does a fantastic job.

Remap wise I have been to RS Tuning in Leeds a couple of times (once with my old R26 - once on the day i first picked up the car, dynoed at 166, but then we started noticing the long list of issues the dealer then fixed...). K-tec is so much closer and a nice drive - *but*, i do have an RS Tuner knocking about in the loft with a megane map still on it, any idea how much an emailed map costs - or how to check i have the right RS Tuner version?

I've seen your car about in the past in Newbury I think. Seeing it on the Robin Hood roundabout planted the thought of getting my own - as I think I've only seen one other that I can remember,ever! It could have been another one of course, but would get good odds for that!

Reaction score
I recognised your name - it must be a Newbury / Vodafone / Accenture thing.

Nick is indeed a great guy and loves his job. He's lucky he gets to work on such lovely cars, Trophys included.

I'm not sure whether a Megane RSTuner would be compatible with a Clio, nor how much the map is, not a great deal, I don't think.

There were at least three Trophys in Newbury/Thatcham at one point but Supersonic sold his. Now it's just one in Speen, I believe, and me up Wendan Road.

Welcome to the fold!

Reaction score
Update on #478:

1. Firstly, now own a Clio Trophy. Didn't own one before - had a 182 running on springs at the front. Had full refurb, two new shafts (ouch - expensive), got the compressor dial upgrades, a power coat, and PMS top mounts and strut brace attached. Car is utterly transformed - shame not had dry weather to give it a proper thrash, as the Yokos hate the wet..
2. Replaced Arnold Clarke dodgy number plates with nice customer renaultsport branded ones with Clio Trophy 478/500 text at the bottom
3. Sorted front head lights + added silvervision bulbs
4. Fixed annoying creaking door. Just needed to tighten the bolt.
5. Replaced rear disks + pads to fix wheel bearing issue
6. Replaced missing button on Parrot thing
7. Got steering wheel refurbed from Royalsteeringwheels.com. Lovely job.

To do in next month:
1. Fit Ktec induction kit bought from forum member, and get Ktec remap (i know, but Leeds is tooo far..)
2. Sort our dings on bonnet caused by scumbag sitting on it when left my keys at work and left it overnight parked too close to a burger van. Get other minor dings out at the same thing.
3. ... stop spending until next year, do some track days when it's dry, and then move onto brakes and rest of suspension next

01ee892471f88ef48d85a1c52267994c04b42f2ef1.jpg

01c52c1794bf51ffe8d865f3117a8152ccc33e91e7.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
100% would never get my car mapped by k tech

You will suffer endless troubles after.

I would just get the rs tuner and do it yourself with the 98ron map

Reaction score
On KTEC - i read a lot of the noise on CS, but prefer to make my own decisions. Looks to me like some genuine problems mostly linked to more complex remaps (with new cams), and a lot of noisy individuals who want to make a point. For a simple remap with just an induction kit and an exhaust they just wouldn't be in business if every car developed problems. In any case, car feels very good now - and results were very strong on the dyno. Won't post results for fear of scorn, but the same dyno did a 197 with a very poorly executed decat that was at just over 170 before a remap and new decat got it to 208 - so no reason to believe my result was false.

Other stuff done on #478:

- New Bremo HC front discs and Ferrodo DS2500 pads. One disc glazed already after some enthusiastic driving in kent (for insurance purposes, this definitely was not at a race track!), so squeak already! :(
- Powerflex dogbone bushing fitted, as existing one was nearly perished. A little vibration felt, and shift action marginally improved.
- New exhaust mounts fitted, the exhaust no longer droops!
- Gasket between engine and cat replaced, as was blowing
- Oil change
- Brodit iphone mount installed
- www.royalsteeringwheels.com also covered my dirty interior trim (car owned by a chain smoker in the past) with same alcantara as the wheel, pics below.

Worked out what i want to do with it now. It's too special to become an all out track or sprint car, but it's too high mileage plus i'm too attached to it now to worry about keeping entirely original for resale. I'm just going to continue to optimise it for the track but keep it comfortable. On the list for next year is a PMS shift kit (sold my old wheel to another Trophy owner on eBay, and really liked the version on is - vibrations at idle didn't seem too bad), but also going to edgeautomotive for full interior refit together with new seats, rollcage and removal of the rear bench at some point next year. New stereo too. Plus a mark fish suspension setup including ARB and new rear dampers. A track car you want to be in for long distances then! :)

IMG_3262.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

Reaction score
Update on #478:

- 5k miles in, and sailed through first MOT with no advisories. Considering the unloved state it was in when i got it, am delighted.
-Royalsteeringwheels covered my A pillars with the same material as the interior trim and wheel, less miss-matched plastic now. Much better.
- Most importantly,took it to Nick at Detail My Car Newbury to get completely sorted out. If you're within 100 miles of Newbury and you want your car beautiful, Nick is the man. Has a massive social media following, is a real gent and car enthusiast himself, and just got himself a Clio 182 runaround also. Job list included:
- Removing 3 minor dents (done by last owner, fixed via one of his recommended suppliers)
- Carbon front splitter fitted
- Rear badge removed
- Turinis sorted out. Incredible job on these
- Several minor scratches and chips sorted out
- Finished the headlights properly. Put several hours in with the 3M kit myself, but not good enough

- Full interior and exterior detail
- Straightened number plates

- Extra stuff i didn't even ask for up front:
i. LED rear number plate light
ii. Sorted the AUX cable i installed myself to make the cable come through the bottom of the cup holder thing

Full details here:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=359754

Jobs for this year:
- Mark Fish suspension when i can find the time
- Alcantara re trim of seats, doors, and maybe even dash
- Possibly better stereo
- PMS short shiftier kit

Care was originally bought to take miles off other car (BMW 1M)l; going to go racing next year and whilst these things hold value well, the 1M is a much better bet long-term. Am trying to get the numbers to work to buy a Sports 2000 racecar and keep the Trophy also - but might not get there. If anyone sees this and is interested, mail me - in the meantime, going to keep on enjoying it...

Reaction score
01db74610d4a8f3e198f0509529b705da70d895c74.jpg

Shot of the now much more alcantata-based interior. Seats re-trim later this year....

Reaction score
Now sold/swapped with another forum member with a very different car (R129 Mercedes SL500) coming the other way.

Since the last update, not a lot of change - removed the dogbone powerflex bushings (should have done it a long time ago - vibrations not pleasant , and doesn't add much to the quality of shift), missing undertray added, new Yokos at the front and fresh Trophy stickers added.

Mentioned it above, but did eventually go racing in Sports 2000- car will literally lap most circuits quicker than a BTCC car, so interest in fast road cars disappeared. SL much more suited for long drives to circuits, and the family always wanted a convertible.

Will say a silent member as have a feeling one day I'll own a Trophy again. And will probably have a pay a fortune for one!

Reaction score
I'll swap you back for my old SL in a few years! Thanks for looking after 478 so well. Spent 4 hrs this morning testing it's capabilities on some very nice Cumbrian roads.

Reaction score
Congratulations Mizen on the sale of the trophy and Mo for picking up a great example.

Sounds like a great deal all round and tou got ti love one of the last True Mercedes-Benz.

How's the racing going? And which car did you end up getting?

Reaction score
This is the car I ended up buying after a lot of hanging around paddocks sniffing out what was around:

vfW9KxeA.jpg

In the end went straight in at the deep end. Car runs in Class A of the championship, and probably only 0.5 seconds behind the fastest in the series. I am more than 0.5 seconds behind of course - series has a *lot* of very experience and talented drivers, and the front two especially (one guy with 21 years of winning things, one young lad karting since very small with absolutely no fear and loads of talent), but am improving quickly.

First race finished 25th from nearly 40. Then 22nd, then 14th, 11th, and was running in P8 at Snetterton with a glorious clear track in front of me before duratec threw a rod and ended my season early. New engine, and with the engine out loads of other smaller jobs to add durability and save weight. That's when I decided the 1M needs to go as well as the Trophy. Racing is addictive, and expensive. Very expensive!

Lap from Donnington GP below- definitely favourite circuit.

Reaction score
I'll swap you back for my old SL in a few years! Thanks for looking after 478 so well. Spent 4 hrs this morning testing it's capabilities on some very nice Cumbrian roads.

I'd be happy to take 478 back one day, but erm.... you're going to struggle to get that SL back off me :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I didn't spot the fire in those pics, you know the one where you burn all the money ;)

Just a little jealous. :smile: