Reaction score
F*ck me, WHAT an engine! :shock: And gearbox for that matter. It's more torquey than Type-R lumps of old and still has the same mental top end. The gearbox is so much better than a Clio's and the razor sharp throttle response / lack of engine inertia means heel 'n toe changes are mega-quick and incredibly satisfying. I was in awe of my ability to replicate a sequential shift down the gears under braking: vroom-vroom-vrooooom! :lol:

Interior is very ergonomic, driving position is better than the Clio's (what car's isn't though?!).

Surprisingly aggressive damping (after so much talk of it being a wimp's Type R :roll:) which I think will put a lot of 'mainstream' buyers off. Not much wet grip and the electric PAS feels artificial compared to our meaty, mechanical feeling Clio's. It didn't seem to let me seek out the limit of adhesion in the way you can in the Clio - it kind of grips or doesn't, the window of opportunity you get to feel out the exact limit is very narrow. In the dry though it copes much better and the quick steering makes the car feel very alert - lift off oversteer is there for the taking but the ESP steps in much quicker than our cars - boo.

Overall I like the way it drives, but it doesn't really have that ultimate edge that makes the Clio so special. I don't really like the way it looks either, it's too max power for a car in that class IMO - the Golf is much more sophisticated. All in all I can understand why people are moaning about the lack of LSD and IRS but it's still a very capable, fun to drive hot hatch.

Reaction score
Good info.

I had the old Type R 3 or 4 years ago - had to sell it when I bought my house :( - and have to say I loved it. Excellent seats, lovely gearchange, mental engine, superb brakes, loads of space and, back then, a bit different.

Its early days for me to compair the Trophy but the steering on the clio does feel more direct and the car more chuckable/ better balanced. However, the clio doesnt feel quite as quick in a straight line and the brakes deffo arent as strong.

I'll take either please - in RED :wink:

Reaction score
Yeah steering much better in Clio - that was the only thing that but me off about a 55 plate type r. I am considering an integra maybe next year.

Been out for a long drive today and I cant belive how many Focus STs are about.

I am off this week so may go see what fuss is about.

I think all companies are going for this max power look at mo saw a Corsa VXR on Test drive yeaterday and it looks like a dogs dinner!! Loads of additional touches all over!!

Reaction score
Great report __CA__, thank you. Your views seem to correlate with the press's. Most of these new hot hatches are very good cars, it's just the british enthusiast is such a hard to please audience and the manufacturer's always have to please the mainstream in the end. I personally would NEVER buy a Civic Type-R of any description, there's no point when a DC2 or DC5 is the same money as equivalent and infinitely better. For the price of a new CTR you could get a mint DC5 with no miles on it that would blow the doors off a CTR and better it in every department.

Reaction score
Clarkson slated it to pieces in the Times today. The ironic thing is that when Top Gear reviewed it they said it was the Best Hot hatch available today!