Reaction score
And no im not going to ask what it means, ive done 1900 miles already so ive seen it a few times before, just had a question. :wink:

Will have to fill up before i head off for work tomorrow and don't know which to choose. . .

Shell Optimax 98 ron @ 99.9p per litre

or

Tesco Super unleaded 99 Ron @ 96.7p per litre

???

I always use Optimax in my 306 Gti-6 and never really noticed a difference either in power or economy. But as the Trophys petrol cap says 98 Ron recomended i have carries on using Optimax.

But now this 99 Ron Tesco's stuff has come out and it's cheaper!

Anyone used it, think it's better? Just after some suggestions before i fill my tank again.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Not used it but give it ago I would but tesco's in stafford has not got it. :D

G

Iv'e never put anything other than ordinary unleaded, done 4500 miles and alls well, im buggered if im paying all that extra for 98 Ron.

Reaction score
I got a voucher from tesco's for 5p off every litre. thats £2.50 per tank, compaired to shell it's a £5er saving

Reaction score
Still waiting for some proper advice on this one. . . .

Anyone actually tried the Tesco 99 Ron stuff yet???

Day

Reaction score
Tesco 99 is good but whether or not it has as many additives as Optimax I don't know.

Reaction score
Have used 99 RON from Tesco for the last two tanks - before that it was only Optimax. I can't say that I have noticed a difference, if I did I would probably be making it up! As you said earlier it seems to make sense to use the cheaper, higher RON fuel (even if it may not be as pure?!) Done 2500 miles and it seems to be drinking the petrol, but it always did with Optimax as well...

Reaction score
Ive used tesco 99 once, followed by a long motorway journey. I cant say i noticed a difference in either performance or economy to my usual Optimax.

Reaction score
LOL. You paid alot of money for your car, dont be a cheap ass gypsy and use budget fuel.

By that reasoning, Paul D, you might as well use tesco value car oil at the next change and fill your washer bottle with water from the washing up bowl to save 4p.

There are differing opinions as to whether optimax improves performance, most of this is down to what car you drive. On an import scooby it is a necessity to use it (or higher ron). On a clio less reason to. What is clear however, is that it does help clean your injectors. Worth it just for that.

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
LOL. You paid alot of money for your car, dont be a cheap ass gypsy and use budget fuel.

How did you know i was a Gypsy??? Have you seen me driving around and clocked the 'Tow Bar' on the back of my Trophy???? Ha,ha. :lol:

Reaction score
I've personally found that "Johnny juice" (Sainsbury's 97 RON super plus) gives a bit better MPG than random crap 95RON, and a bit more oomph to boot.

BTW, if you use supermarket petrol, don't go anywhere other than Tesco or Sainsburys, as they effectively use rebadged Shell and Esso stock. Morrisons, Asda etc use thinly veiled poteen produced from fermented and distilled remaindered vegatables :)

Reaction score
"Morrisons, Asda etc use thinly veiled poteen produced from fermented and distilled remaindered vegatables "

HAHA. Quality

Reaction score
I got caught out the other night and couldn't make it to a Shell garage for optimax so had to put normal 95 RON in and believe me after a few miles I could so tell the difference, and it made the exhaust and Cat stink! :shock: Needless to say I won't be doing that again, 98 RON or higher for my Trophy!