Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I know a few of you are into it on here, I was wondering if any one can suggest any decent routes around the Lakes. I've been to Ambleside for a walking holiday but never MTB up there...

Any thoughts!?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Can't help you with any routes sorry but would be very interested in your feedback of mtb'n in the lakes as I am considering doing this myself early spring.

Rich

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi guys. I may be the best person on here to talk to about MTB'ing in the Lakes.

I can think of plenty of routes but I cant really suggest any until I know exactly what type of riding your after, XC, Trail, downhill etc..

I can think of good routes all over the Lakes but if you let me know where your thinking of staying I can come up with a few around that area. I tend to ride trails about 20 Miles long with Big, technical downhills so if thats the thing your after I have some Awesome routes in mind !

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've been promising myself to do this for the last couple of years, though I need to get back up to fitness again, so if you could post your routes and tips up here and also decent cheap places to stay.

PS. only got a hard tail as well so the BIG downhills would be tricky.

Reaction score
I rode in the Lakes 2 summers ago; just some XC stuff. Had an absolute blast, although made the mistake of trying to ride a footpath which had boulders on it going uphill - suffice to say that we carried our bikes a great deal of the time.. D'oh!

I'll see if I can dig out roughly where we were riding..

.. Would go back without a second thought; as I've probably said before, Ben you're so lucky to have such scenery on your doorstep!!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Lol. If your looking for trails that dont involve pushing/carrying bikes then that sort of narrows it down a bit :wink: .

There is a really good XC ride around Grasmere that I did a while back, It was just a route I drew together the day before but there was some cracking views, nothing technical just a really nice ride out in the Lakes. Ill dig it out.

XC routes in the Lkes are easy to find and plan out yourself, all you need to remember is that you can only ride bridleways and your set.

Quik5i1ver - If I remember rightly you were riding around Coniston and Tilbethwaite. There are some really good XC rides there too.

P.S. I know, Living in the Lakes in great :D :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
BenG said:
Lol. If your looking for trails that dont involve pushing/carrying bikes then that sort of narrows it down a bit :wink: .

I may be old (actually there's no "may be" about it) but i'm not ready to be put out to (flat) pastures just yet. It's just if I attempted some of the stuff you do i'd end up with no teeth. I always lead with my face when I fall off #-o

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
XC stuff mainly as long as there fun routes with some technical downhills. I've got a heavy KONA full sus so keep the carrying to a minimum! :)

Cheers! (tupw)

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I know Ambleside quite well as the GF used to live up there in her uni days, I'm trying to find routes but not having much luck (mainly as I'm not sure whats good to ride up there!) Any good ones on here? http://connect.garmin.com/explore

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
This book is well worth investing in, Ive been working my way through it and there are some cracking rides in it. It covers everything from short XC rides to seriously technical all day rides, and it covers all over the Lakes. Some of the routes I was gonna post up are in it.

http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/lake_district_mountainbike_routes_guides.htm

Its worth every penny. Maps are included for all the rides, although they are a little small so you may want to take a proper map with ya, and it also has a written guide which is 'very' useful.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check this out!

What bikes to you guys ride? I've got an old 2002 Kona Bear Dee-Lux which I'm thinking of changing or just upgrading what I've got as its still in good condition.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I only got into MTBing about 3 year ago. I Bought a 2007 Specialized Epic Comp XC bike when I first started off, I got in on the cycle to work scheme. After about a year the better model of my Epic came up for sale at the Local bike shop at a very attractive price so I bought that and sold my other, A 2007 Specialized Epic Marathon. It was the same frame but with alot better components and I soon realised that the more expensive components work alot better. Anyways, I started riding down things that the bike was not really designed for so I decided to buy something with more travel, I only had the Epic Marathon for about 4 months before I sold it for my current bike, a Gary Fisher Roscoe III. I got it late 2008 when it first came out and it has been awesome, I can fly downhills and off big drop offs, the suspension really plush, I feel way more confident. It was expensive but I really do think you get what you pay for, I could never have done the things I do now on my old bikes and a cheaper full suspension would have falled to bits ages ago, Ive been riding it a year on really harsh terrain and all ive replaced are brake pads and tyres.
Anyways got a few pics...
17-10-09Snowdonia016.jpg

17-10-09Snowdonia017.jpg

17-10-09Snowdonia018.jpg

17-10-09Snowdonia049.jpg

17-10-09Snowdonia050.jpg

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've got an old 2002 Kona Bear Dee-Lux which I'm thinking of changing or just upgrading what I've got as its still in good condition.

I think if you feel confident with the frame you should keep it and upgrade the components. As above, the only differences between the 2 specialized Epic's I had were the components and it was a night and day difference between the 2. Felt like a different bike. :)

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Thats one sweet looking bike! I used to ride lots on the past, as a kid I did alot of dirt jumping, street riding and trials and then I grew up so started more XC/Minor freeriding stuff. I want to get back into it and torn between upgrading bits on mine, or buying something new. I really like these:
http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... /fuelex8e/

I'm swaying more to the idea of get my shocks serviced, and the rest of the bike for that matter and enjoy it! One day I'd like to live closer or in the Lakes, the GF wants to be closer to it too! Must be awesome having that on your doorstep!

Reaction score
Ben - that is a tasty looking machine!

Having never been able to master a bunny hop (I cheat and use SPD's.. :lol: ) I have stuck to XC..

Had a Scott Yecora which I steadily modified until the only remaining original part was the frame. Then CRC were selling my dream frame at a ridiculous price - Tomac Taos. The Chain stay CNC detailing is something else - it's gorgeous. I also went down from a 17.5" to a 15" (I think) so I have masses of standover space and can really throw it around. It's currently running some borrowed fox forks which need a bit of TLC but otherwise it's great. The wheels are Spinergy Xcyclones and they look gorgeous, although the white spokes aren't as eye catching as my friend's yellow ones.

DSC00251.jpg

Myself and the GF are heading to Devon, via Gloucester at Easter along with MTBs.. Anyone have any route suggestions for either?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mmmm that makes mine look prehistoric Ben but around here rear suspension is just a heavy pain in the a*se, even the fronts are locked out for a lot of the time. Might have to do a rethink on the bike if I go up there.

Reaction score
J - I rode the lakes on my hardtail and ok I don't do crazy downhills but if you just want to trail ride then hardtails are fine. That said, it is slightly more comfortable and easier on a full susser (get out clause for me being slower! :lol: )

Reaction score
Man this just makes me want to use my MTB again got a Specialized Rockhopper Disc sat in the garage gathering dust...

Think it's only been used about half a dozen times #-o

Reaction score
Every year I think, maybe this year we'll manage a combined Trophy & MTB weekend.. Each year I fail to get it off the ground.. Any takers or organisers?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
quik5i1ver said:
a full susser

Lol I must be getting old, not heard that for eons. Mine was a great bike when I got it and I really can't justify spending a couple of k on a "full susser" when it is still as new condition.

Attachments

• DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 14