Reaction score
I'm going up to the Lake District in a couple of weeks, can anyone recommend any good roads up there?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
By strange coincidence am going to lake district/N wales next week (B'day of 307) so will see if i can find anything decent (also camera spots) but i'll have the doris with me so there will not be too much hooning around :wink:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hoolio said:
By strange coincidence am going to lake district/N wales next week (B'day of 307) so will see if i can find anything decent (also camera spots) but i'll have the doris with me so there will not be too much hooning around :wink:

little matter of a few miles between the lakes and north wales......... about 1.5hr drive n'all.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cue said:
hoolio said:

little matter of a few miles between the lakes and north wales......... about 1.5hr drive n'all.

10 days off :D Did the same last year, car was "run in" during that week. Was v.dull driving tho, little more fun this time.

Reaction score
Straight over Hardknott Pass....goes right through the Lake District, great road, stunning scenary...just be real careful..!

Reaction score
Cheers guys, Hardknott and Kirkstone are getting Trophied pretty soon.

Reaction score
Just got back from Cumbria. Drove at a fuel conserving 75 mph on the way up and managed over 41mpg over the whole trip, 330 miles (300 of which motorway and some heavy traffic on M6) on 8 gallons and 6 hours journey time. I was mighty impressed and have renewed faith in the re-map.

I also found my favourite driving road in the country so far, the A591 between Grasmere and Keswick, absolutley stunning scenery, super-wide and fast sections across valleys and windy technical cresting bends around lakes.

I've never been to the Lake District (or Cumbria) before and found it to be absolutely breath taking, if you've never been, make sure you do soon, incredible walks and equally great drives. I'll post some photos up when they're developed.

The Trophy was a brilliant tourer, arse only getting numb at the end of the drive there (got back in a slighly less frugal 4 and a half hours!), only had to fill up once in 750 miles and it was the perfect partner for the fast sweeping bends and wet slimey roads (it rains a lot up there) having precise and exploitable handling and useful overtaking punch where needed.

It'll be staying a while longer I think and is going to see a few more National Parks over the next few months.

Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed it, I had a couple of nights in Ambleside two weeks ago. Remember almost losing my Impreza on the way back into Grasmere from Keswick in the rain last Autumn. Four wheel drive saved the day.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
steve, try north yorkshire - best driving roads in britain, good scenic views are also a bonus.

Why did grey friars lodge shut down - amblesides best kept secret that place :(

Reaction score
Don't know if Cue is aware of the road from Skipton to Grassington, one part of it resembles a roller coaster and is well worth trying out. From Grassington head towards Pateley Bridge. Just remember to stay on the road and keep off the moors when its dark! From there head towards Harrogate. A really good circuit and during the week its fairly quiet.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
corneyman said:
Don't know if Cue is aware of the road from Skipton to Grassington, one part of it resembles a roller coaster and is well worth trying out. From Grassington head towards Pateley Bridge. Just remember to stay on the road and keep off the moors when its dark! From there head towards Harrogate. A really good circuit and during the week its fairly quiet.

Aye, there's some belters around Harrogate way - I took a Tuscan out for a test drive a couple of years back on the roads 'roud there and had a blast. Bit dodgy on round-a-bouts with all the power and no traction :shock: but I made it back in 1 piece. :)