Knocking noise has gone...

Reaction score
Well as the weather has got a little bit warmer, I have noticed that I am no longer getting the knocking noise when going from lock to lock. Has anyone else who had the knocking noise over the winter noticed this, or are your knocks still there?

I have been told by an RTE that it is nothing to do with the suspension and that it is actually the tyres skiping on the surface, which I guess is less of an issue now that the weather is getting warmer and the tyres are softer even before being driven.

At the end of the day I am just glad that the knocking has gone...well at least untill next winter!

Reaction score
I always found that the clunk seemed to depend on outside temperature. Mine isn't doing it at the moment.

As for the noise being the tyres skipping, the scrabbling noise that you sometimes hear on full lock is undoubtably the tyres sliding on the road surface, but the clunk ? I think that that is more than just the tyres.

After all, didn't renault issue a "fix" for the problem that involved modifying the bodywork around the top strut mount area. Would they have done that if they could blame it on the tyres? :?

Lots of people have had that problem and had it fixed by modding the bodywork so how can he say that the problem doesn't exist, and that it's just the tyres ?

Reaction score
I totally hear what you are saying Mick, just trying to get an understanding on what the knocking noise is and what it is caused by.

I have also heard about the mods to the suspension that Reno offer, but it just seems strange that the knock is only apparent during cold weather!?! Perhaps the knock is not present in warmer weather as the tyres flex and take the movement issue away from the struts so you don't get the movement at the top of the strut? To follow on from this perhaps Reno offer the fix that they do as some people would find it unacceptable for their car to have this knocking noise irrespective of what the temperature is.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i genuinley beleive its the tyres skipping - perhaps with the rigidity of the struts and flex requirement is passed on to the tyres?