Reaction score
My local normal rip off shell garage that sold optimax at 105.9 has just changed to v-power. Better still it's going for 99.9!!!
I had a huge smile on my face at the pump when i saw it was v-power and 99.9 then i thought to myself how sad am i!!! lol :lol:

Anyone else filling up on this yet? I doubt i'll notice any difference but i'll post up in a couple of days and let you know.

Reaction score
dam leicester prices have always been 99p for optimax and vpower

105.9?!?!?!?!? thats a joke lol

Reaction score
That stuff is rocket fuel! just filled the tank up to the brim from running on vapour (exactly 47 litres if you're interested) and the whole tank and my lunch only came to £48 too.

Had to take the long way back to work, the Trophy loves it!

Reaction score
chiefsilverback said:
My car is twice as fast now that I'm running 99RON as opposed to 98! The placebo effect is an amazing thing!

Completely! But who cares? V-Power plus re-map makes it feel like a new car whether there's any actual difference or not, so job done.

The reason I'll be using it is I like the idea of the Friction Modification Technology(!) putting a surface-coating component onto the valves and pistons. It was developed with Ferrari, that means if I put it in my car it will have a little bit of Ferrari in it. Won't it? We all know a Trophy's quicker than an F430 in the wet anyway. Probably the dry too, if there are lots of twisties. Who won the F1 constructor's championship anyway? :lol:

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
chiefsilverback said:
My car is twice as fast now that I'm running 99RON as opposed to 98! The placebo effect is an amazing thing!

Completely! But who cares? V-Power plus re-map makes it feel like a new car whether there's any actual difference or not, so job done.

But is it re-mapped for V-Power?

Who else got their V-Power Club card through the post?

Reaction score
A standard ECU is, up to a point. All modern engines detect what octane fuel they're using and adjust the program accordingly, if there was no benefit of 99 RON over 97/98 to a standard (un-tuned) engine Tesco (Greenergy) and Shell wouldn't bother, it would cost them more with no test data to back it up. You can look at all the research online, they have to publish it by law.

So, yes and no. My re-map is just a Group N with a few other changes but nothing in there to maximise the use of higher (than 98) octane fuel, those quoted power figures are for 98 RON incidentally, fill the tank with Asda 95 and take it to a rolling road, you'll have to re-name it a 175 Trophy.

Applied for my card online today, having to use 35 litres a week is a worry though, I can imagine people running out of petrol waiting for a Shell to turn up on the motorway.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
if you get a Shell visa card liek i have you only need to buy 50 litres per quarter to qualify and if you use your credit card and pluspoints card at the same time for petrol you get around 4 points per litre

Reaction score
mattykimbo said:
if you get a Shell visa card liek i have you only need to buy 50 litres per quarter to qualify and if you use your credit card and pluspoints card at the same time for petrol you get around 4 points per litre

I was looking at getting a shell credit card just for purchasing petrol but could not find a link to apply for one on the Shell website.

Are they still available?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
they had run out of forms before but if you call 0870 888 1248 thats their customer services they'l be able to sort you one out

Reaction score
Sainsbury's Super Unleaded is 97RON and 93p/l - saves £2.40 on a 40l fill-up over VPower at 99p/l (although my local Shell garages were 102p/l last time I filled up :( ) and I (currently) detect no difference in performance.

So I think I'll stick with Sainsburys!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
its not the performance difference, its the cleaning materials that are put into the fuel to help stop carbon buildup on pistons and valves etc, i remember seeing a picture of 2 stripped beemer engines one run on optimax one run on normal petrol and you could definetely tell the difference. You get what u pay for, the closest sainsbury have got to ferari is probaly the pit crew buying there sarnies from there!

Reaction score
Why not buy Sainsbury's and a can of the STP additive stuff every now and again? Should give the same effect and be cheaper.

I'm not against Vpower per se, just that it's so much more expensive for little practical gain and really just peace of mind.

Reaction score
peter_964rs said:
Why not buy Sainsbury's and a can of the STP additive stuff every now and again? Should give the same effect and be cheaper.

I'm not against Vpower per se, just that it's so much more expensive for little practical gain and really just peace of mind.

Why not? Because the closest that supermarket crap will get to my car is three feet below when I drive over to check my tyre pressures for free. Where I am the Super Unleaded in the supermarkets is only slightly cheaper than V-Power so I'd rather pay the extra few pence and get the proper additives, a higher octane fuel and keep my engine in good order.

Reaction score
Supermarket fuel really is dog muck!

Opti/V-Power is produced at one facility in the UK to the same standard batch on batch.

Supermarket fuel is sourced from anywhere with no consistancy, one week it may be Shell the next week Texaco and it will always be the stuff that's left over once Shell have filled their pumps!

Reaction score
OK I've just re-read an old issue of Evo which goes into the fuel debate, think I might have to start paying extra, although they saw the greates differences on a turbo car and less on the normally aspirated one.

Reaction score
That's because the naturally aspirated one was an M5! That V10 is a bit of an under-achiever and could probably make it's 500bhp on castor oil.

The power variance in the 2 litre Golf (even though it has a very small turbo) was more of a gauge on how the different fuels would affect the F4R.

Reaction score
I've just started using Tesco's 99RON Super, as it's a whole 10p cheaper a litre than Optimax was recently near me. I know it's supermarket fuel but I've read and heard that it's not the usual supermarket dross. It's made by a company called Greenergy, contains 5% bio-ethanol, and is supposed to produce less deposits, although I don't think it's got any cleaning agents in it. I think it is going to become my fuel of choice, it feels a bit pokier than Optimax did...Anyone else tried it out?