Reaction score
There is at least one Throttle Bodied Trophy and a Turbo Trophy that I know of, however if I was you I'd seriously consider a supercharger, probably RStunings as you'll get almost 260bhp with out the ballache of having to strip your engine to fit forged internals like you have to with a turbo and it only costs a little bit more than ITB's with far greater gains :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Friend of mine had an ITB'd Trophy but stripped it back to standard in the end, managed to get a ride out in it, boy what fun!

Reaction score
superchargers seem .... abit mad, cool but abit to much. ovy its the next step up, but once you start hitting that ..... seems like its time to buy a Focus RS.

Reaction score
Sam_K said:
You can run supercharger on standard internals at 260bhp?

Yes mate, the majority of supercharger kits that have been done are pumping out between 240-260bhp on stock internals.

With ITB's you'll spend £2.5K on the bodies and get 200bhp then to increase that you'll probably spend a further 1K on cams getting them installed and obviously a new map to suit so you'll be in the region of £3.5-4K and be lucky to have 215bhp. For you £4K you could have a SC and between 240-260bhp, in my eyes it's a no brainer.

Reaction score
Hi Lads just a question where can you get a supercharger kit and fitted for 4k what produces 260Bhp?

Reaction score
I rung rs tunning yesterday and they do supercharger kit fully fitted for 3.5k plus VAT so say around 4k just under. But the guy said you would also need new bottem end to cope with extra bhp and boost. With all fitted you looking around 6k mark to have 245 bhp. I think id rather stick to full cat back with decat and JMS set up.

Reaction score
Not sure if your getting a bit mixed up there, but to take the supercharger kit to the next level ie more than the 240-260bhp you need to uprate the bottom end. Unless somethings changed in the last 2 weeks since I last spoke to Paul.

Pauls is currently putting out 340bhp but again he has low comp pistons and uprated rods.

Reaction score
No im not gettin confused. its quite clear. a clio sport engine is not designed too run with boost. If you are running a supercharger or turbo charger with standard internals it may last for years but there is no garantee it will last. i know of people who have turboed or supercharged N/A engines and since have had problems.

Its like diesel cars when people mess around with remaps ect turbo seals fuel rails ect all start to go. Same on turbo petrol cars. these are cars which are designed to run on boost.

Paul stated when i rang him that the engine is not designed to run on boost so you would need to uprate your engine internals to cope with extra bhp.

its like on atom supercharged,they use a supercharged type r engine. this engine has not been taken out of a type r and been tweeked with a supercharger. Engine internals have been changed. Same on corrola t sport 1.8 189 bhp, this engine is also in lotus elise 260 supercharged. this again has not just been taken out of corrola and been added with a supercharger.

i think if your stupid enough to get a supercharger or turbo charger youd be more stupid to not uprate your internals.

Reaction score
My friend has a Mk1 1.8 mx5. he has a gt25 turbo conversion kit running i think 10psi (i will comfirm that) which gives him 271bhp 245lbft and that is on standard internals so i know it can be done, but like you said how long it will last? then again apparently the mx5's do have quite a low compression rate than you would expect from an N/A engine

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Joe. I think the point Stevie was making is that it is not necessary to uprate the bottom end in order to run the supercharger (in your post you stated it was 'needed'), the engine will run perfectly fine without uprated internals but your comment about reliability is correct. I too think it is best to uprate the internals to run a supercharger form a reliability point of view, but again, its not vital and these kits have been tested to run 240-260bhp without changing the internals.

Reaction score
Yeah thats what i meant. it can be done but if your going to spend all that money a kit you might as well spend an extra 2k on uprating internals.

i wouldnt like to drive a car knowing the engine could go any min. I would like to have some peace of mind it would be ok.

Reaction score
Something along the lines of this thread:-
Im finished paying for the Trophy in approx 1.5yrs. Plans after that are:-
Referb the interior. £1000
Possibly respray the body and wheels. £3000
Rebuild engine with everything uprated to handle more power, including brakes. £2000
Complete rehaul of suspension, referb, solid top mts, etc. £1000
Then either Super charge it or Turbo charge it. £4000

I know thats £11000 which could buy a new car nearly but a complete rebuild of the Trophy is what ive decided to do instead of buying a new car. Never selling the Trophy so.....

Reaction score
Bloody hell. If you have bought the t on finance how are you going to pay for all these things to be done?

Reaction score
I dont know for sure but have been told the mx5 engine was lifted straight out of the 323 gtr so can handle boost as they were designed too from the off but that may well be a load of crap :)

Reaction score
glenn said:
I dont know for sure but have been told the mx5 engine was lifted straight out of the 323 gtr so can handle boost as they were designed too from the off but that may well be a load of crap :)

I heard they came straight from the 323 as well, so my friend says anyway.

Reaction score
J90SCU said:
No im not gettin confused. its quite clear. a clio sport engine is not designed too run with boost. If you are running a supercharger or turbo charger with standard internals it may last for years but there is no garantee it will last. i know of people who have turboed or supercharged N/A engines and since have had problems.

TBH mate if you do a bit digging around you'll find that the meg 225 engine is exactly the same bore and stroke as a 182 and I know for a fact that they both share the same crank (also the rods look identical but I haven't had the part numbers confirmed yet). so really the only difference between a engine designed for forced induction (F4RT) and one that isnt (F4R) is the pistons in both shape and overall area (which gives the difference in compression ratio 11.1 vs 9.5). You could argue and say that the piston material will be stronger in the F4RT but having had both in my hand I don't think they are, and I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same factory.

Probably the biggest limiting factor will be detonation due to the high compression ratio.

Steve

Reaction score
Is yours all built now stevieh? i think i remember you saying you were going for bigger power?