Reaction score
Currently debating selling my current hillcimb car and using the wifes Trophy to enter a few rounds. But just looking for some advice on what to mod on the car.

Want to keep it as original as possible and run in the production, road class. Weighing up a few options just now so appreicate any thots?

Cheers

Reaction score
Hi Tonto,

You can run it straight from the box they are that good.
I have won class in SW sprints with mine but more typically if you drive well you might finish half way, maybe better in wet.

You can do any of the normal mods to help; ie remove any easy excess weight.
Filter, Exhaust and remap for bit more power but as George K (he will be along in a min) found out car is not easy to tune and wife would not thank you when she nips to Co-op!
Best mod would be soft Yoko/Toyo/Khumos if rules permit.

Just give it a go they handle like a good un and have fun.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I m not going to try to second guess what George will say but I think like most of us have already done he will recommend improving the woeful brakes and increasong the camber a little, almost everything else apart from a good remap bar massivce weight loss which I'm feel would not go down too well with the Mrs will probably be a little bit of waste of time.

Reaction score
The brakes are fine H, just Ferodo, Mintex or Pagids in the front and you will be fine.
50 secs uphill dont need much in way of brakes, 10 laps round C Combe will melt em of course :?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
They'd last as many laps as that? ;-)
Uphill or not I still think I'd prefer to have something a little more reliable than the bits of compressed cardboard that Reno fitted.

Reaction score
Next year you should be able to run list 1b tyres - only Kumho do them in 205/45x16. Many people go for 15" wheels when the choice of tyres is much wider; A048 or 888 as well as the Kumho. You can run the softest compound available.

You need pads with bite from cold - not the normal criterion.

More negative at the front will help.

Most tuning seems to be a waste of money - perhaps a good custom re-map.

Reaction score
I was thinking 15" wheels with list -1b, Avon ACB10 (A24 Compound tyres), which you can get in a 215/45/15. The 15's would give a lower rolling diameter and thus reduce your gearing, which could be beneficial!

And as a minimum; some front neg' camber bolts, front pads (any recommendations), then maybe a sports cat and a remap, sound about right!

Next stage would probably be an LSD.

Reaction score
I found that the standard gearing was helpful, as a relatively long 2nd reduced the number of gearchanges in the twiddly bits.

Can't comment on Avons as I have not come across anyone using them on saloons apart from old type Minis.

Used to beat the only Clio that used a LSD - would actually think that a major weight reduction would represent better value - the Clio is 300 kg heavier that a well Golf or 205, even in the prod class.

Reaction score
George K said:
I found that the standard gearing was helpful, as a relatively long 2nd reduced the number of gearchanges in the twiddly bits.

Can't comment on Avons as I have not come across anyone using them on saloons apart from old type Minis.

Used to beat the only Clio that used a LSD - would actually think that a major weight reduction would represent better value - the Clio is 300 kg heavier that a well Golf or 205, even in the prod class.

Weight reduction will be nigh on impossible in the road going class as you can only remove the carpets and sound proofing which weigh around 15kg, you could change the front seats though but expensive for light weight ones.
I would say some negative camber and a diff like a gripper and lower final drive will give the best increase as recommended to me by Mark Fish.
Check the regs though as they are being tightened up for next year but I think you run similar regs as down south, where as I am based in the middle and the regs are in a transition (?) stage.
See here for some more info on my phase 1 172, I also used my trophy for a year or so.
http://w193tfvhillclimbcar.blogspot.com/

Reaction score
Colin

You would be amazed how much weight some of the prod cars take out in the SW- lightweight seats, exhausts, batteries, bonnets and boots, and remove all the reinforcements behind the bumpers - carpets, air con, abs etc.There are Golfs and 205's down into the 700 - 800 kg range. even so they meet the MSA requirements - just. I have not seen any signs in the bulletins of a change for next year.

Regards

Reaction score
George
if you have a look on uphillracers there are a few threads about the changes that the msa want. It's mostly to clarify the rules but has caused more confusion.
The idea is that we all run to the same regs but it looks like us in the north will still run on 1a tyres but you and Scotland run 1b so much for all using the same regs!

Reaction score
shiftspark said:
George
if you have a look on uphillracers there are a few threads about the changes that the msa want. It's mostly to clarify the rules but has caused more confusion.
The idea is that we all run to the same regs but it looks like us in the north will still run on 1a tyres but you and Scotland run 1b so much for all using the same regs!

Which is bizarre as the MSA have officially sanctioned 1b for 2010!!