Reaction score
Hi, has anybody on here had an after market HID conversion kit fitted into their Trophy? If so...where did you put the ballasts :?:

Reaction score
will there be any problems with the heat off these things melting the headlight's plastic front lense?
whats wrong with the OE lights...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I would have thought you just replaced the whole unit?

Have you tried just upgrading the bulbs, it does make a massive difference.

Reaction score
Well i got offered a HID conversion kit for a good price (friends uncle selling up his shop), so i got them...now im reading everywhere about them being illegal if you dont have headlamp washers. Is this true??

Reaction score
I was going to do the same but there was the issue with the washers but also the sensor and cable required for the auto levelling thats required. Seemed just too much work for little gain :cry:

Reaction score
looking into it further...i dont think that is the case. Reading off a BMW forum, the police are happy with them as long as they pass an MOT...hmmmm...every site seems to be different.

I shall do sum research...in the mean time...is it easy enough to get the front bumper off??

Reaction score
they need to be self leveling for a start and also it depends how the beam gets difracted through the lens as to if it will pass an mot.

Reaction score
hoolio said:

Hoolio, what bulbs have you put in as an upgrade? 100w? No problems with heat?

Cheers.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I replaced the front 'full beam' with 100W bulbs, i had to replace the fuse from 15amp to 20amp. I used the same bulbs in my old clio for over a year and there was no heat issues. (you can do the same with 'Dip-beam' bulbs)

100W bulbs are not road legal ! I think 55W is the limit,

They light up the back roads like daylight ! There Brilliant. + there like half the price!

Reaction score
theo said:
they need to be self leveling for a start and also it depends how the beam gets difracted through the lens as to if it will pass an mot.

I have a friend who owns a starlet SR which doesn't have self levelling or washers. His car just passed its MOT with HIDs.

Anyhow...back on topic...im guessing no1 has them on here then lol

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
There's 2 Trophy's from memory which have had this conversion. One was a cat D that had been rebuilt - you could try pm'ing the guy that sold it (sold only a month or so back) as he'd rebuilt it.

If you've got a good deal on then that's fair enough. For me I wouldn't convert them for a number of reasons, mainly they add weight to the car but that's because I use mine on track a lot.

I'm sorry I can't be more help - my experience lies with taking things out of cars not putting them in :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Gordon said:
hoolio said:

Hoolio, what bulbs have you put in as an upgrade? 100w? No problems with heat?

Cheers.

When i fitted mine Silverstar's were the best, i'd now go for the nightbreaker's i think. 100w? Irritates the hell out of me when i end up blinded by someone else so no and i can't be bothered with the extra hassle, road legal etc.

Reaction score
BenG266 said:
I replaced the front 'full beam' with 100W bulbs, i had to replace the fuse from 15amp to 20amp. I used the same bulbs in my old clio for over a year and there was no heat issues. (you can do the same with 'Dip-beam' bulbs)

100W bulbs are not road legal ! I think 55W is the limit,

They light up the back roads like daylight ! There Brilliant. + there like half the price!

Ben, some questions:

Which brand of bulb?
What pattern H4, H3? I know it'll be in the manual I expect, I'm being lazy.
Which fuse do you replace? I presume it's main beam or headlight fuse.
Where is fuse?

You are right 100w are illegal, all marked 'Off Road Use Only'. 55w dip and 80w main I think is road legal max on an H4. They should say 55/80w on the bulb.

If you live in the back of beyond or do a lot of cross country driving 100w's are hugely handy. I think 110w and 120w are available but are not really necessary.

Cheers

Reaction score
[/quote]

When i fitted mine Silverstar's were the best, i'd now go for the nightbreaker's i think. 100w? Irritates the hell out of me when i end up blinded by someone else so no and i can't be bothered with the extra hassle, road legal etc.[/quote]

Hoolio are silverstar and nightbreaker's brands and are they coloured/tinted?

I know what you mean about being blinded. I'm pretty fanatical about dipping lights and it frustrates me when people don't - rarely is it people with bright lights that don't dip though... :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Gordon..

I got the bulbs from halfords. (Halfords own I think)
The Dip-beam are H7
The Full-beam are H1 (£7.99 per bulb I think)
Ive had no problems with the halfords bulbs, Im not quite sure how long a 'good' bulb should last but ive owned a pair of 100W bulbs for a good year and a half now.
They do 100W for H7 and 80W for H1 (OFF ROAD USE ONLY!)

Fuses!
If you open the passenger door and take off the fuse cover,(at the end of the dash) on the back there is a layout of which fuse does what, you can relate this to work out which fuses are for dip beam/full beam etc. there is a fuse for each bulb.

I hate it when people dont turn their full beam off. I just turn mine on and they must be twice as bright as theres so..Revenge is sweet!! :twisted: