Reaction score
Trophy was handling like a bag of crap, noticed a bouncy damper so had it rebuilt at BG a few weeks ago.
Also the exalto's on the front had come to their usable end so replaced them with the Pilot Sport 3's.

Anyway, Trophy's feeling a bit weird in some corners, i cant really describe it, its got plenty of grip but seems to feel what i can only describe as a bit bouncy/jerky at the front, ive got 33 psi in the pilot sports and they look a bit flat so was wondering if its roll in the sidewall.

Anyway else experienced this?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
33psi seems quite a lot, I run the PE2's at 30 max. Also you said "it" I hope you mean you got the pair refurbed. Rears as said above but you have new rubber and dampers on it will feel different.

Reaction score
Yea got both dampers done, be silly to just get one!

It just doesnt feel quite as good as it did before the PS3's, they look seriously flat with 33 psi in them :?

Rear shocks seem just as solid, anyway of really checking them properly?

Reaction score
Get the tracking checked as you've had the damped off & then refitted good chance the tracking could now need an adjustment.

Of course different tyres do have different characteristics. I actually prefer my car on Goodyear Eagle that it's wearing now to the PE2's it had before.

I've not read a review yet of the newer Michelins that has them anywhere above midtable.

Reaction score
Did the tracking in the workshop last night, and gave the old girl a quick oil change as its due in a few hundred miles.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Very similar feeling with mine and I am certain front dampers are ok (refurbed last year) also just had new rear Sachs
Dampers. Tyres seem to have excess movement so think I will replace them before the winter.

Have my MOT next week so hoping the garage will find anything wearing.

Think these characteristics are just the way the car is!

Reaction score
bearne1 said:
Very similar feeling with mine and I am certain front dampers are ok (refurbed last year) also just had new rear Sachs
Dampers. Tyres seem to have excess movement so think I will replace them before the winter.

At least im not the only one, it seems to be mainly under power, reduced when lifting off! Im sure its roll in the PS3s, might well try the Goodyears or Continentals next as i always used to used continentals on the old clio and it was bloody awesome! Also a mate of mine gets Toyo's at very very reasonable prices, so thought may be worth chucking a set of them on and see the results!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
bearne1 said:

It may be totally unrelated but my front dampers failed in under a year after the re furb, so might still be worth giving them a good look over.

Reaction score
bearne1 said:
Surely they wouldn't fail in a year?! Would you be covered by any form of warranty from BG?

I bought my car from 'son of solo' who had the dampers refurbed from BG and i noticed oil leaking from them around a year later and contacted Ben at BG who was more than apologetic and did the work for free. It was an O ring that had not been replaced correctly.

I too am experiencing similar problems that i never had until i swapped over for the PS3's so i have put it down to that. I agree that they do look flat (31psi on the front) compared to the PE2's (29psi on the rear). Im thinking of swapping fronts to back to see the difference but i certainly cant wait for the PS3's to wear and shall be replacing with F1's if i can find any or uniroyal rainsports that are all the rave on CS!

Elliott.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
My comment was aimed at Beane rather than badgerman.

My dampers both failed in under a year and BG sorted them for nothing only last week. On mine there were no visible signs of a problem but gas had escaped from cracks in the reservoir body.

Reaction score
Experienced exactly the same thing that the OP has described after changing my PE2s to PS3s. Had my dampers refurbished, ball joints replaced and it hasn't really sorted it, so I'm starting to think its the tyres!

Reaction score
at least i'm not the only one! guess its time to start looking for new tyres!

Thinking either the goodyears, continentals or toyo's, will get some on in the next few weeks and return with results!

is1

Reaction score
Interesting this. I have changed from PE2s to PS3s at the front in the last month or so plus wheel alignment. No other changes such as damper rebuilds, balljoint etc. and indeed there is a difference between PE2s and PS3s - at the moment anyway.

Not sure if with bedding in, they will improve but the PS3s have a momentary but noticeable delay between turning the wheel and the car changing direction compared to the PE2s (which, even with only 3mm left and six years old were razor sharp) and the steering is a little less direct. Could this be due to softer sidewalls as the PS3s big gain was apparently wet performance?

I should also mention that I tried a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 2s on the front but did not get on with them at all. There was a loss of steering feel either side of dead ahead,, which is one of my biggest handling dislikes. Also, when pushed, the tyre seemed to "bottom out" (again, softer sidewall?).

However, the PS3 doesn't suffer from this "bottoming out" and is better around the dead ahead. I am hoping that in time, it will feel like the PE2.

I know that Hankook V12 Evos get good reviews. The interesting thing with them is that I believe they are only available in 205 45 16 as a W-rated tyre and I wonder whether that stiffer sidewall could be part of the reason for their appeal.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I fitted 4 new PS3's 5 months ago and noticed the difference straight away, initially I was disappointed having replaced all 4. They do have lots of grip and are indeed very grippy in the wet but the initial flex is a little annoying.

The first few weeks I was checking the pressures more often as they felt and looked deflated. I used to run the PE2's at 28psi on the front but I use 33psi with the PS3's otherwise they feel too flat.

PE2's 1 - 0 PS3's

Reaction score
Badger post up your location and see if anyone with PE2's will swap wheels with you so you can check out the handling before you go throwing more money at tyres. I'll gladly do it. I'm in Wisbech. Any good to you?