Reaction score
I recently discovered what was described to me as a "knock controller" when I bought the car, is in fact a Unichip piggyback unit. Great bonus I thought. Since it was originally setup with an open induction kit, I decided to have it remapped at Perfect Touch in Hoddesdon to what I have now, a 2.5" Scorpion exhaust and standard airbox with modified air feeds minus acoustic valve. The do extensive tuning with many Skylines in various tunes parked outside their workshop, including their own 700bhp Skyline track car!

Once on the rollers, a diagnostic run revealed that it was apparently over fueling a lot at full throttle and a bit on part throttle. The guy questioned who originally set it up, to which I didn't know, as it was poorly setup with only basic alterations made. The first run made just over 175bhp. An hour or so later, it now dyno'd at 183.3bhp with correct fueling across the rev range. The guy said that most Clio 182 dyno around the low to mid 170's bhp mark so I'm happy with my 183bhp. He also ran it without the airbox, ie, throttle sucking air directly, and it only yielded an extra 1bhp! So the standard airbox, minus the AV is actually pretty good. Result, there isn't a huge difference and doesn't "feel" quicker but is definitely pulls more smoothly through out the rev range. Did a few comparison runs on my usual route and is about half a second quicker to the ton than my previous runs on average.

The torque looks like its all over the place compared to the bhp plot, but this is due to torque plot is on a different scale to the power plot. When drawn on the same scale, the torque is a lot flatter and smoother.

Attachments

• Rolling_Road.JPG
    Rolling_Road.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 463
Reaction score
Plot as on the same scale

Attachments

• Rolling_Road2.JPG
    Rolling_Road2.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty please with the result. In everyday driving, it doesn't feel any faster on the road, no one is gonna "feel" half a second quicker, but every little bit helps! However, it drives a little better, but more than anything, its the peace of mind knowing that the car is now properly mapped and have extracted as much as I can with my mods and for the correct fuelling for V-Power/Tesco99. Brakes will be next on my list!

Reaction score
Jonc, very close to mine - tends to bear out that a good re-map is the only thing worth doing.

Reaction score
jonc - you mentioed that you already had a piggy back ECU which Perfect touch modified. Do these guys also have the equipment to reflash the existing ECU in the event of not having a piggy back? i ask because im gonna get the ECU revised and hoddesdon is only a stones throw away from where i live.