Reaction score
How?! :?

Took the old pads out, gave everything a good clean, wound the caliper piston back in, the inboard pad fits fine. But there is no way the outside pad will fit, the gap between the outer edge of the disc and the caliper / pad retaining bracket is about 2mm too small.

In writing this I'm wondering if I'm being really dumb and needed to pull / slide the whole caliper outboard so that makes room for the pad? I guess I do - the whole thing must slide otherwise only the inboard pad would do any work.

Shit! Have I just answered my own question? :p

Anyway - the results of having front DS2500s on the original disks and bleeding the system with a litre of Motul RBF 600 fluid (from Oilman) has made a MASSIVE difference, I was only bedding them in but it just felt so keen to stop I had to restrain myself from testing it to the max straight away! :D

Reaction score
I did indeed answer my own question and have now fitted the rears... woohoo!

8)

Reaction score
Let us know how the car feels with the Ferodo's on the rear, I'm absolutely loving my brakes now, Their performance far exceeds the grip of the tyres and you really have to modulate them to stop the ABS taking over.

Incidentally the front DS's wouldn't fit in the calipers when I had mine fitted, David (racecardoctor) had to file a bit of the wings of each pad for them to fit. Painted, see.

Reaction score
Well I've only bedded in the rears today so tomorrow I might go and explore their abilities a bit further - you're right though about the difference in friction, I triggered the ABS a couple of times whilst trying to put some heat into them (bump induced).

There are thin metal brackets at either end of the pads as supplied by Renault. I read on cliosport.net (think it was Fred from Yozzasport) that you can just get rid of them and this means you don't need to grind the pads to make them fit. They look very much like the calipers I had on my old ZX 16v (and probably countless other French cars) and since it didn't have the metal brackets, I'm not too worried about ditching them. (Incidentally the rear calipers looks identical to the ZX as well!)

Will be interesting to see how long my discs last with the new pads - they're the originals and still had plenty of thickness left, even after 24k miles. I think the original owner must have driven like Miss Daisy was in the back... :wink: