Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering about alloy wheel fitment on Trophy's. Is it correct that the standard fitment on T's is et43 and on 172/182 cups it is et37? This means that the front track is 12mm narrower than other sport clips. I know if you move the wheel further out, your kpi centre line is acting further towards the inner ede of the wheel which may causing the car to be unstable under braking and makes the steering heavier. Having said that other clios use the wider track and seem to be ok. Just wondering if anyone has any insight to different track widths?

Cheers,
Dan

Reaction score
I looked this up a while ago when I wanted to fit Turinis to my old 172:

All 182's including the trophy are ET45.
172 mk1 is ET43.
172mk2 is ET48.5.
172 cup is ET38.5

So yes, the 172 cup had the widest track. I presume it wasn't perfect or Renault would have stuck with it with the 182 and trophy.

From what I have read and picked up in the past the King Pin centre line and the vertical through the wheel have an offset (at ground level?). The greater the King pin offset (casued by fitting wheels with a lower et value) can lead to wandering / instability.

I'm no expert at all. Are you having problems?

Reaction score
Hi mate, thanks for useful reply. I think your right in that it is at the ground where it kpi offset is measured and it can lead to instability under braking and also instead of the wheel pivoting around its own centre (which is better for tyre wear and direction changes), if it sticks out more then the wheel is dragged around its turning axis (scrub radius?) the steering will be heavier.

I just wondered if anyone knew any measurements etc to work out why renault decreased the front track. When you write it out as you have it looks to be trial and error over the years of production. I'm not having any problems just wondered what the effect of fitting different wheels and tyres would be. Cheers!