Reaction score
Hi all.

Finally got my decat fitted today (thanks yozza), took it out for a blast and I must say it sounds lovely combined with the viper induction kit. However during my spin ....

I've raced Type R's before and kept up (in fact they seem to make it a habit of having a go). However I came across a 55 Civic today, he pulled out behind me and on went the fog lights, I thought ok mate lets go , this should be easy, they don't do a type R yet .....
I got to around 130 with a bend approaching , its wet , and he's still there !!! :?
Ok I was pulling away but hardly noticable. Got to the roundabout at the end of the ring road swang round that like a man posessed and left him behind.
I went straight home and checked the net and yup the best they have is a 1.8 sport with a 0-60 of 8.6.
Have I come across a prototype?, is he like me and wasnt happy with a stock 55 plate?, did I leave my handbrake on?

Reaction score
I think you can still get the outgoing style Type-R's on a 55 plate, however if it was the new shape Civic then it does seem a bit strange that he was able to keep up with you so easily. Have you had a car on the rollers since having the mods done?

Loads of people believe that the R'sport engines in the Clio's can take loads of miles until they are producing full power, maybe it is a case that the Civic's engine was making good power and our Trophy engines aren't yet producing the full amount...

hyb

Reaction score
Loads of people believe that the R'sport engines in the Clio's can take loads of miles until they are producing full power, maybe it is a case that the Civic's engine was making good power and our Trophy engines aren't yet producing the full amount...

I'd agree with that, hit 1750 miles today and it pulls so much quicker now, its so rev happy :D

Reaction score
hyb - how does your Trophy do against your bro's CTR? I trust you have done some acceleration tests :D driven (revved hard) the CTR can be a seriously fast hatch.

Reaction score
Ive only driven my friends type R (with a catback magnex) its quick , theres no doubt. But I couldn't get used to only having 1800 revs to play with... ok, it sounds awesome, just cant get over the fact you have to rev the absolute bollox off it to get anything.
And I'm still mystified with the 55 civic ....

hyb

Reaction score
Afraid not Olis, its just a 1.4 with some body kit, he couldn't get insured on a ctr yet :p
when looking at new cars I did drive the ctr a few times but it did nothing for me, yeh its quick, but the power comes in right at the end where its more or less unuseable, unless your on a straight road

Reaction score
Had a recent F7power meet and there was a civic type r there. It had been remapped and the vtec now cut in at 5500. We were following in the mr2 with the top down and the sounds was out of this world. It really did sound like it was about to explode. Amazing.

hyb

Reaction score
Yeh I suppose, with a quick mod they are a lot quicker, getting the vtec to kick in makes a huge difference, my brother went in a supercharged one with 300bhp, recorded it on video cam and that does sound out of this world

Reaction score
i love the shape of the new civic!
I dont understand why you want the vtec cutting in early? The whole point on the car is vtec high up the rev range. If you dont like that fact why not got something else :?
Strange

Reaction score
iain_c said:
i love the shape of the new civic!
I dont understand why you want the vtec cutting in early? The whole point on the car is vtec high up the rev range. If you dont like that fact why not got something else :?
Strange

yes, but if the I-VTEC comes in early then you usually have a 220bhp @ wheels car... which is insane... there's all that low end torque and power back that people moan about.

I've driven my mates... and kicked the hell out of it and it felt dull to drive and slow, although you can tell it's fast by the rate the needle moves... a VTEC controller makes better use of the engine i'd imagine, as you always feel as though Honda are holding back with these engines! lol