Reaction score
There is a renault clio 182 cup which is in perfect condition near me in rb which I really want to buy. These cars are very rare where I am. I was going to use my student grant and loan but the trouble is I don't get it all at once. I also have the issue of my own 206 ideally trading it in at a dealership would be the best bet but no one has these 182s where I could trade it in against. Any tips?

Reaction score
Head says stick with your 206. If figures for the debt students can get into before/during/after further education are anything to go by, you don't want the cost of a 182 to add to your burden. Insurance and servicing (cambelts etc) can be eye wateringly expensive, VED is £265 as well. Use what your grant/loan for it is intended for. Get a Clio 182/197/200 once you get a decent job after uni/college.

Reaction score
I also have a part time job which is enough to cover all of my expenses the grant and loan is pretty much spare money I also have a mate who is a very good mechanic and gives me big discount on services etc.

Reaction score
I agree leave the 182 alone, it is an expensive car to maintain properly, especially as they are getting older, I would estimate £3000 a year to run correctly (insurance, tax, tyres, petrol etc). and then more if it needs work = £700 for the exhaust, £400 for pads and discs.

Reaction score
How do you know this car isn't a problem car? It might not be the perfect one and you are just keen on the idea of owning one. There are plenty of rough 182s around these days. Don't rush into buying one that will turn into a money pit!

182 Cups are the most pointless car out of the lot of them too btw ;)

Reaction score
I work for a uni and have seen the trouble students get into over money. Iv also been a student myself and know you need to hang onto all the cash you can get. You would be better off getting a cheaper 172 cup or basic 172 if you wanted rid of your 206 so bad. I got mine for £1600 and it's a decent car. Failing that, look at alternatives like a 106 GTI or Saxo VTS. I had both at uni to get me through and they were a bloody hoot, the VTS was my favourite, loads of little mods like GTI6 brake conversion with braided lines, sax sport scorpion exhaust, 4-2-1 manifold and the ram air simota. You can pick these up now for around £1600-1800 now with loads of choice mods and they are a bunch of fun like the Clio. Just my opinion obviously!!

cdcd8f2b.jpg

82e077fb.jpg

1d4ea01a.jpg