Reaction score
Here's the scenario guys & girls.......It's a Trophy - but then that's why we're all here isn't it :D Show's 25k and there's only evidence of 1 service conducted in 2006. No MOT and the front tyres definitely need replacing. What is this car going to need mechanically to bring it up to scratch? Alternator is goosed so that'll need doing. Looks as though it's been stood for a while as the general appearance would indicate this. Can't tell whether the shocks need doing but assume they will. Does this car sound like it needs £1500 throwing at it to bring it round? Your thoughts would be appreciated as I'd love to become one of the clan!! Mike :)

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I would say a good service including cambelt and aux belt. This will cost you around £600-£1200 depending where you go. Dampers, £450ish.
Tyres - around £200 for the fronts.

Just my input! :)

Reaction score
£1500? At least: major service, alternator, tyres, brakes (discs pads and fluid change?) and exhaust possibly?? That's without knowing why it's been sitting around not used. Still, without knowing the price and seeing it it's hard to judge. Might turn out a bargain, who knows ;-)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If the oil hasnt been changed in 4 years.. i wouldnt touch it personally..

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
treat it as a Cat D - check every detail, factor in all wear and tear parts to be replaced, full spec service and damper rebuild... you're looking at around a £2k - £2.5k spend imo. Brakes, 'zorst, belts, fluids, detailing, tyres... the list will go on....

Reaction score
My advice is that you have to remember whatever you throw at it bringing it up to standard whenever you try to sell it it will always be a trophy with a big gap in service history and so it's always going to have to be priced lower than other trophys and even at a bargin price alot of potential owners still wouldnt touch it!

Reaction score
^^ good advice.

From my point of view, if I was looking to buy one, it would need to be 'enthusiast owned' therefore, I would look for meticulous service History etc. Because of the nature if the car's limited edition status, the better the history, the higher the resale value and the more liklihood there will be fewer problems. Any car that doesn't have it's oil changed over a long period will suffer, even more so a performance engine such as this. It's a shame, as one owner cars are probably steadily becoming gold dust.

Mind you, with all of the above, I'm no engineer so please remember this is all personal opinion, formed from information gleened from various sources..

Reaction score
:D Is the U/S alternator a common(ish) problem. Has anybody else replaced one recently and, if so, how much? :D

Reaction score
I had a bit of a nightmare replacing the alternator as the part always turned up wrong. I had the old one rebuilt in the end. About £120 I think.
Whats the deal with the owner? For all we know it could have been well cared for for 2 years (serviced at 12,500) And then garaged at 25,000. If it's been sat in a garage for 3 years then a full cambelt service and some tlc could have you a great little car. All depends what the deal is.