Ajr

Reaction score
Dropping my dampers in to BG in on monday.

Discovered the main reason for my handling problems, i fitted new wishbones which made it feel much better, but the steering wheel still had to be held to the side and i got the tracking "done" straight away, now it seems they set it to 1.5mm toe in when it's supposed to be 1mm toe out. And the renault tech sheet says "Adjustable by rotating track rod sleeves 1 tour = 30’ (3 mm)" so i presume that's one turn on both sides? Will adjust it by 3/4 a turn toe out both sides and see how it feels, can always rake it back in a bit if i want.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Very good service at BG motorsport.
My Dampers were delivered on Wednesday at around 17:00, by Friday 12:00 ish they were done. :D

I hope the geometry adjustment and serviced dampers sort out your handling problem. I think 1.5mm toe in instead of toe out will play a big part in it. Thats taking the p***.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Check it out !

Attachments

• beng 005.jpg
    beng 005.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 79

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
They also have a rubber seal around the dial (not sure whether you can see it in the pic) to stop the crap and water getting in.
Got new blue bottoms too.

Attachments

• beng 018.jpg
    beng 018.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 38

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes its under the reservoir, its just where you put the gas and oil in.

They should be good as new now. I need to get rid of the rust and re spray them then ill put them back on and take her for a spin. I cant wait. :D

Ajr

Reaction score
Apparently my dampers were the best he's seen so far, despite them having done 50k! One had a bit of air in the oil and a little less gas pressure than the other but they dyno'd very similar.

Anyway i had them refurbed and new adjusters "unpinned" so i might run them a bit softer for winter and a bit harder for dry use. At least that eliminates the dampers and they will be good for another 50k fingers crossed :D

Reaction score
AJR, Did you get around to adjusting your toe from toe in to toe out? Did it make any difference? I'm wondering as my tracking seems to have been put out recently and it does seem less stable. Need to get it sorted asap!

Ajr

Reaction score
Fitted the refurbed dampers and wacked half a turn each side toed outwards(from where it was) and it now drives exactly how it should, and even better than when i first got the car. I'd say the dampers did need doing, and now i can leave them for another 50k :D And the toe definitely made a big difference.

So yes Luke, i'd definitely get your tracking checked and adjusted.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Wow what a difference the serviced dampers and stm's make ! :D

The handling has never been this good. Everthing is so tight and precise. Words just cant explain how much this has transformed my car. I love driving again !!! :D

Wohoo !

Reaction score
Glad you both have your cars back as they should be.

Thanks for the advice Ajr, I'm sure sorting the tracking will get mine back as it was a couple of weeks ago. :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
:evil: right... i'm leaving my post on here as a reminder that this is a friendly, helpful site. This thread has gone completely tits up. I'm clearing it up.

Kam2turbo -
kam2turbo said:
you can call me what you like cuz end of the day you gona burn in hell for sure for ever and for real
its posts like this that are out of order.

Handbags ppl. Everyone else, will you chill? everyone has a right to an opinion but personal attacks - and this is both sides of the fence - are out of order.

It's rare we get this type of thing, in fact only twice in nearly 4 years! You may not agree with his comments and like wise but petty name calling is childish and will not do anything other than ruin a good forum.

Please all apologise via PM's and let the matter drop.!!! [-o<

Reaction score
true what you saying.

ill be the first.. sorry. its just when one says something then another not agreein. so he says something and then goes on and on. lets forget that no long thing.

if one dont like what someone has post then shouldnt really reply. like the rest.`

we not on here to argue and say this and that.. we need to keep this trophy site going good. other wise the forum will be locked off never mind the topic.

Reaction score
From what you have said - it could well be failed rear dampers.

If you go around a 50mph left / right, how does the car feel - stable, or slightly loose? how about if you provoke a little weight transfer mid corner?

/y0z

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi y0z

Having the front dampers serviced does seem to have improved the car alot. However, Now that the front end is how it should be it has made me notice the rear end more, it does feel unpredictable. If I steer left to right sharply the rear end tends to roll (but only slightly). The Koni's should sort this out with them being stiffer.

The serviced front dampers has sorted out the handling problem I have been having without a doubt. Im changing the rear shocks as I feel it will improve the handling further. I dont believe the Sach's rear shocks that are currently on the car now are faulty. The handling now is superb.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I took my car to RenTech (great service BTW!) for its cambelt, aux belt and service and they noticed my lower suspension arms were worn which would make sense as my handling felt a bit strange and there was a knocking from the front over small bumps at slow speed. I've now had these replaced but the steering/handling is still a bit off.

Reading this post makes me think the suspension is in need of service, RenTech did say there was about 4mm left but I think there maybe something else wrong as the handling hasn't improved a massive amount, the knocking noise has gone though.

Does this sound like front shockers need a service to you? When driving the car seems to wonder on most road surfaces, I had the tracking adjusted straight after the arms were replaced so its got to be something else, and the handling doesn't give me as much confidence as normal. The ride still seems firm though.

Any thoughts?

Also, if its is shockers, who knows a good place to leave it on axel stands? BenG - where did you leave yours? Worst case I may whizz it up to Silverstone so they can remove and refit them.