BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi mate.

I left my car standing on axel stands in my garage for a few days.

About the wandering, my car always did always wander and still does today, i think its to do with the geometry and I am aware they all do it to a certain extent.

This handling business is a funny one, I was heading out to a Cumbria meet on Sunday and on the way there it felt like the handling was a bit off and it felt like I was getting alot of unwanted roll, I actually got out of the car and had a good poke around, I couldnt find anything. paranoid at this point I set off and tried to find some sort of fault on the back roads by giving it some good old fashioned hard cornering, the car suddenly came to life and all confidence was regained once more. Strange!

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Could it be down to the roads being all greasy at the moment? Giving it that strange feeling? My T doesn't really roll, its just the feedback I get through the wheel at the moment doesn't inspire confidence like it used to, which I suppose could be down to the greasy roads causing it to slide a bit more and not grip as much. I think I may wait until summer before deciding to service the shocks and see how she handles on the dry roads, plus Rentech had a poke around and drove it and said all was OK, apparently the shocks had around 4mm left and there was no sign of leaking so there should still be gas in them.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just reading through your post and very interesting read - I think the problems I am having are the same! Took the T into my local mechanic who is very good who poked and prodded with suspension, no movement / wear found. Checked the dampers and a fair gap with no apparent leaks. It just feels that the car drifts at higher speed with little road grip, corners hard to say really as no harsh ones on my daily commute to work.

Wondering whether a damper refurb is the last option for me!?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hey.

I know what you mean ! Its like the grip is there but you just cant feel it ?
When I was having problems it felt like the car wasn't as planted to the road as it used to be. It was a wierd and scary feeling and I only got it when cruising around 60mph and above, there was no feel under light steering such as changing lanes and it felt like the car was floating. I lost all my confidence in the car and the more I focused on it the worse it got. I had everything checked out and there were no obvious signs of any faults, I suspected the dampers but with it being the most expensive route I left them until last, I bit the bullet and got them refurbed, it transformed the car, it transformed the handling immensely. I also fitted solid top mounts at the same time so I gained alot of the feeling back, I removed them not long afterwards as they drove me mad over rough roads. When I removed them and replaced them with standard ones I lost some feedback but I didnt experience any of the old problems I was having. However, recently, over the past couple of months the feedback has been deteriating slightly and I have been experiencing very similar problems as before. I have just had new wishbones, bushes and ball joints fitted and that had made a huge difference with regards to feedback and has tightened the front end up in a big way, in terms of feedback the car feels better now than it did after I have the dampers refurbed. Now the dampers have been refurbed and the wishbones etc have been replaced the handling and feedback have never been so good. :D :D :Dc

Is that any help to you?

Ben