Reaction score
Hi guys, title says it all. It's only a thought in the pipeline as I've just stumbled on what looks like a bargain at snetterton, £49 for the day, 15 may. Thing is, my car is absolutely standard, and I don't plan on modding, but I just want to see what the trophy can do in a safe environment. I won't be driving HARD as the girlfriend would more than likely come, but would the standard set up on the T be up for a moderate trackday?? I know there's a couple of hard braking points at snetterton, I don't want to overcook it if the standard brakes arent up to the job. Has anyone done this in a standard car? Only thing that will possibly be different will be a new exhaust by then.
Thanks
Luke.

Reaction score
Hi Luke,

The car will be great on track. It's hard to know how you will drive, track driving is very different to the road. It all feels so smooth and safe that you will really push the car, far more than you ever would on the road.

You have identified the only weak point... the brakes. The standard brembo pads or anything else cheap, don't last long on track. They quickly overheat and begin to destroy themselves. I had about 3x 4 lap stints at Oulton and the pads couldn't cope.

I'd recommend spending a little money on some better front pads. Discs and fluid will all be fine, as will everything else.

It's strange as I did a few track days in my old 172 and it was just about ok on standard pads. I think the Trophy's stiffer front end and increased braking stability encourages more aggressive use of the brakes and hence the pads can't cope. Running into brake problems within 3 laps can really ruin a day though, so try to get it sorted. You won't suddenly lose all braking or anything serious, they'll just feel awful, not work great and make unfamiliar noises!

Reaction score
Can only echo above comments, only things I would change on the T are the pads and some decent brake fluid. Its a great car and will be great on a track!

Have a look more closely at that deal as I think you will find its for an evening session only. Very cheap for May. Its a great track regardless and shouldn't be too hard on the car as long as you have warm up/cool down laps and take regular breaks.

Reaction score
http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car-home/novice-only.aspx How about a novice trackday with MSV and make sure you get some instruction as its really worth it.

With regards to brakes may I suggest changing the hoses for braided ones such as Goodridge, changing the brake fluid for a better one such as Castrol Response or a race fluid if it hasn't been changed recently. If your pads are low maybe for some upgraded ones such as Ferodo DS2500's as they work well on the road and Brembo HC discs if they need doing.

My best advice is to get some instruction and just warm the car up and cool it down for a few laps and keep an eye on your tyre temperatures so you don't overcook them and ruin them.

Above all have fun :)

Reaction score
I won't be driving HARD as the girlfriend would more than likely come
why would this make any difference?

Sound advice, certainly is a bargain, buy a tyre pressure gauge. Easy!

Reaction score
Haha, I feel silly now, I assumed "open pit eve" was an abbreviation for 'event', I now understand. I'll look into a day session then.
Thanks for the advice, after looking into it the brakes were about the only thing I was worried about, went to Bedford a while back with my mate in his 350z, after about 15 minutes of heavy braking as a total novice he cooked them, nothing as he went into to the s bend immediately at the end of the back straight (can't remember corner name). I'll look into upgraded pads fluids etc.
Brisbane - it only makes a difference because she would be driving as well and she has only ever driven KAs and the T for 2 minutes, don't think it would be driven too hard!
I've factored in instruction, I know it's very worth while. Thanks again for your words.
Luke.

Reaction score
Well what a coincidence , I have just done close to 100 laps of Snetterton today on an all day trackday. My suspension isn't standard so can't really comment how the standard dampers are on track but for sure you will want uprated stoppers and consider carefully also what tyres you use.

I have Pagid standard size discs with Mintex M1155 pads , uprated brake lines and fluid , Yokohama AD08 tyres and the car was simply awesome easily keeping pace with much faster cars although I have done quite a few trackdays at Snetterton before.

It is an amazing circuit though , you will love it.

Reaction score
Brisbane - it only makes a difference because she would be driving as well and she has only ever driven KAs and the T for 2 minutes, don't think it would be driven too hard!

Fair enough mate! Good luck to you.