Reaction score
I re-discovered Evo magazine’s raison d’être last weekend – the thrill of driving.

I bought my Trophy (#23/500) in early December. Its one previous owner had serviced it regularly but in most other respects it needed a dose of TLC including: refurbished front dampers; new exhaust; rear brakes freeing and new pads; a good scrub inside; full service and new fluids; some Waxoyl to tidy up the underside and arrest the rot; and new or refurbished steering wheel. BG Motorsport sorted the suspension, Tony Banks in Leeds fitted a new, custom stainless steel exhaust with lovely bassy noise and tailpipes that completely fill the cut-outs in the rear valance, Pellon Tyres in Halifax fitted 2 new Hankook Ventus S1 Evo tyres on the front; and I did the rest. I cleaned the K&N filter, built a box to go round it to stop it sucking in hot air from the radiator, gave it a full service, fitted a seal kit (thanks to BiggRed – go on their website if you are thinking of a brake overhaul) and new pads on the rear brakes, replaced all the brake fluid, bled the system to restore a solid pedal, drained and replaced the coolant and generally gave it a good “fettle”. All that remains is to sort out the steering wheel. I think I’ll fit a 197/200 wheel. I am told it fits, it means you keep your buttons and airbag and it is slightly dished so it should go some way to addressing the Italian ape (long arms, short legs) driving position.

I spent a couple of days in North Wales trying to keep up with my eldest son’s hard-driven, 171,000 mile BMW 520i in February before I had done any work on the car and it bounced around at the front end like Tigger on E then suffered almost terminal brake fade on a long, fast descent between the A5 and the Bala – Trawsfynydd road. Somewhat disconcerting when the pedal that is supposed to slow you down no longer does so and feels like a block of finest teak is jammed underneath it. The rear brakes were doing next-to-nothing and the front brakes wilted under the strain generating so much heat in the process that the front offside outboard CV gaiter blew off and sprayed grease liberally around the inside of the wheel and various bits of the suspension, thankfully missing the brake disc.

Last Saturday I drove to and from a village on the eastern fringe of the Lakes near Penrith for a bit of fell walking and decided that I would shun the quick route from Halifax via the A65 and M6 and wander instead through the Yorkshire Dales. I went via Ribblehead, Hawes, Sedbergh, Tebay and Shap on the way there and down the A6 to Kendal and then back to good old Sedbergh and from there to Kirby Lonsdale before heading back to West Yorkshire.

It was one of the best drives I’ve had for a very long time. I owned a TVR Griffith 500 for 4 years and absolutely loved it, but it would have been slower over the Dales roads and a lot more of a handful. Its waywardness and surfeit of power over grip was an essential part of its charm but it sometimes got in the way of a good drive. The Clio, on the other hand, rorted and fizzed and darted and jinked but always felt at one with the road, flattering my inputs and masking my misjudgements making me feel like Walter Rohrl’s apprentice and prompting me to laugh out loud several times. It is the greatest possible compliment to say that it reminded me strongly of the two Peugeot 205GTIs I owned and loved so much in the 80s.

I had quite a good time and rather enjoyed the Clio. What a fabulous little car. My hitherto insatiable lust for a Mk1 996GT3 waned ever so slightly last Saturday: I still want one badly, but I’ll survive without one for a few more years!

Reaction score
Great post! I keep thinking it'll be a good few years before I can afford anything more fun to drive than a Trophy, at the moment can't think of anything this side of an Exige!

Reaction score
I come home from work over extremly poor maintained roads due to the new metrolink being installed and every now and then i get home and think im selling my beast....its too harsh for everyday. Yet as you say you take it out on a spirited drive and you realise just how special the little car is and think im keeping this for the forseeable!

For me the only thing I would be willing to trade it in for tomorrow would be any EVO 8 MR FQ400 or an M3 CSL.

Hopefully ill be able to afford to keep the Trophy and get an M3 at some point :eek:

Reaction score
My personal object of motoring lust is the 911 GT3 but an Exige would be fantastic, an FQ400 would be bonkers and probably lose me my driving licence in the first 3 months of ownership and the M3 CSL is such a handsome, stunning-sounding car it would be hard to resist. It would be even better with a manual 'box which I beleive would save about 20kg in a car that goes to great lengths (cardboard boot liner and carbon fibre roof, for example) to shed weight. The slightly less extreme but equally handsome and very nearly as fast CS seems like a bargain right now.

All the above cars would be a bit of a pain on the daily urban grind, but on a great stretch of tamac like the one from Settle via Ribblehead to Hawes they would come to life. Indeed, I reckon I would rather drive the Morris Minor pick-up in which I learned to drive on a great road than a 458 Italia round town. It's moreabout the drive than the car.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I can't agree enough!! Finally took mine to Silverstone yesterday. It was wet and wild & the weather was a bit iffy too. I cannot believe how much grip the trophy has even on a flooded track. Dried up a little in the afternoon which was handy cus i had an instructor session off Danny Buxton (ex clio cup). AWESOME!! no other word, could tell he'd done a bit before. At the end of the day the car purred the 100 ish miles home.....:D

Reaction score
Hi Will#I#Ams - Northowram, since you ask. Not far from from the Regional organiser, who's in Shelf. Proper little Clio enclave in Halifax. Given the roads round here, I bet we all have bad backs and are half an inch shorter than we were in our mid-20s (for those of us who are ever-so-slightly past our mid-20s, that is).

Reaction score
i dont live in halifax any more mate, i used to in my early teens and high school. im not so far off though, and still have plenty family over there. and im just ever so slightly above mid 20s ;)