Reaction score
Hi all,

My trophy has only been averaging between 26-28mpg recently where usually its easily 33-35mpg. Around a month ago I put a decat on it, do these affect mpg that much? Or could it be the lambda sensor? may have got damaged when putting in the decat?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Same story with me. New lambda needed soon I think.
I don't think its because of the decat, in some cases mpg can increase, and mine was fine for a couple of weeks.. then it just plummitted all of a sudden.
Still no emission warning light though..

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine has gone down slightly, by maybe 1 or 2mpg but I put this down to cold weather and letting the car warm up while I de ice the car in the mornings. Will be interesting to see what mpg I get on a longer run to Manchester tomorrow

keo

Reaction score
Mine is realy low around 24mpg at the minute but i think thats because i only use it for a short journey to and from work say 3 miles if that. It doesnt get chance to warm up in that distance and the weather has been realy cold so will ve using more fuel and when the car is ticking over scrapping the windows in a morning.

Reaction score
Definitely the cold weather. The car is running richer for longer due to the engine taking longer to warm up. I'm hovering around 28mpg, normally it's around 32-33 mpg. Plus my emissions light has come on too. Noticed this last winter and it happened with my previous car.

Reaction score
have a look at my thread here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9809

explains the effect an old/tired thermostat has.

Well worth you checking the lambda sensor operation (NOT a fault code check)

you should be hitting close to 40mpg, depending on driving style. less than 35 and you have an issue, unless you're living on track

Reaction score
I think Danny is having a laugh or trying to sell a load of thermostats. If your getting near 40mpg you've bought the wrong car. In my 87,000 miles since new I have managed near 40mpg once when following someone in a 1.2 fiesta on a long journey. I have been getting 29 recently but 31 is normal for me and I guess 29 to 34 is normal on here. Anywhere near 40 is probably missing the point of a trophy in my opinion.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I used to get 42 on motorway easily, 45max at 50mph ish.

On normal driving to work and back I would average 34mpg.

Recently I cant get above 32 :(

Reaction score
Christ we are getting mpg threads on a dedicated pocket rocket forum :roll: change cars get a diesel if yo are that concerned :lol:
I get 27mpg, and on a nice motorway run it might get up to 30 ... but who really cares, as I get out with a big smile everytime :mrgreen: (even more so now the dampers have been done, and 2 deg neg camber dialed in)

Reaction score
Tinker said:
Christ we are getting mpg threads on a dedicated pocket rocket forum :roll: change cars get a diesel if yo are that concerned :lol:
I get 27mpg, and on a nice motorway run it might get up to 30 ... but who really cares, as I get out with a big smile everytime :mrgreen: (even more so now the dampers have been done, and 2 deg neg camber dialed in)

Only reason i was concerned was because there is a noticable difference and was worried something may not be right with the car.

Yea had my dampers done and need some neg camber now :wink:

Reaction score
Well I have done an experiment today - drove like an old git, and yes you can get to 38mpg ... but it is sooo not what the Clio is about, so after 30 miles, got back to driving as it is meant to be driven and got down to 31ish.

So if you want 40mpg, change car and get a diesel (they do close to 50) otherwise, just drive it as it's makers intended! :mrgreen:

Oh and Happy New Year to all ...

Reaction score
Luke335 said:
I think Danny is having a laugh or trying to sell a load of thermostats. If your getting near 40mpg you've bought the wrong car. In my 87,000 miles since new I have managed near 40mpg once when following someone in a 1.2 fiesta on a long journey. I have been getting 29 recently but 31 is normal for me and I guess 29 to 34 is normal on here. Anywhere near 40 is probably missing the point of a trophy in my opinion.

FLOL, hardly. I make about £1 on a thermostat

Simple fact is, if your economy suffers in cold weather from not getting up to temperature properly, then the thermostat isn't working right, and the it's a part that's rarely changed anymore. Not sure why it's disregarded, the technology involved hasn't changed in decades.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Danny, are the only visible symptoms for faulty thermostat, the coolant temp guage?

Reaction score
Fair enough Danny if the drop in economy is thermostat based but I wouldn't want anyone thinking they are going to get 35 - 40 mpg from a new one as low 30's is realistic for your average member on here.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Luke335 said:
Fair enough Danny if the drop in economy is thermostat based but I wouldn't want anyone thinking they are going to get 35 - 40 mpg from a new one as low 30's is realistic for your average member on here.
I don't think we (well, I aleast) aren't talking about day to day economy because that depends on quite a few facotrs.
Its more about checking if the car is running/fuelling properly.

I for example have noticed a sudden dip of 6-7mpg, and my emissions light still isn't on after about 7 weeks of having a decat. Makes me think its packed in. I may get a new stat just for peace of mind though :)

Reaction score
It all depends on driving style, i get about 20 around town and 28-30 at 90mph on the motorway. No ways you gonna average 40. Boring. If you average in the low 30's fine,it is a powerful 2.0 after all. I use shell optimax, i know it says you need to use 98 ron, anybody got experience of running 95 ron? Is it worth saving a fiver a tank?