Reaction score
Just bought some of that meguirs clay and gave it a quick whirl on a small bit of the roof.

On close inpsection of said bit there are small imperfections (like little patches - looks like a stain) which can only be seen from a certain angle.

Any ideas what they are and how to get them out?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Lighter marks? Darker? Not really enough ondo there. Was the surface spotless? Did you use lots of lubrication? The clay sometimes leaves some residue but the main thing to remember is that its just the first step In a process.

Reaction score
It just looks like little stains that appear to have a different finish.

I think it might be bird shite stains.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
You'll be breaking out the polish and elbow grease then. Its no biggie they sound like they can be sorted, like I said you need to go through the stages clay, polish and seal.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
You'll be breaking out the polish and elbow grease then. Its no biggie they sound like they can be sorted, like I said you need to go through the stages clay, polish and seal.

Bought some meguirs scratch x - seems to do the trick.

What do you mean by seal? I clayed a bit then waxed. What am i missing.

I'm a quasi-detailing noob :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well you waxed so that's your seal. You can get sealants that too apply before wax that Are longer lasting than wax alone but as long as you top it up regularly you'll be fine that's what I do though I do use a paint cleaner after claying as it removes any left over products from the paint and helps the wax bond.
Scratch x is great stuff btw but I save pt for small areas scuffs etc.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Well you waxed so that's your seal. You can get sealants that too apply before wax that Are longer lasting than wax alone but as long as you top it up regularly you'll be fine that's what I do though I do use a paint cleaner after claying as it removes any left over products from the paint and helps the wax bond.
Scratch x is great stuff btw but I save pt for small areas scuffs etc.

Right got it sussed thanks. Will wash/clay/scratch :lol: and wax the rest.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Pretty much though I wouldn't want to be Scratch Xing the whole car, it's good but to get it to work it needs to be worked hard IE for the polishing compounds to break down and you can really only do that properly in small areas, also as it is so effective in taking out scratchs etc i think it's possibly taking quite a lot of top coat with it (just my personal thoughts) A better bet would be a paint cleaner which generally have polishing compounds in them as well. What wax are you using?

Reaction score
Just the freebie wax I got with the meg clay kit.
Yeah just using scratch x in small patches. Fekking hard work like!

Reaction score
never liked the Megs products myself get yourself on polishedbliss.com and get some Poorboys stuff

Reaction score
I just had a look on that website and some of the work they have done looks amazing, i would love that to be done to 382 :D

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
J - What is this paint cleaner you use ? I need some :)

I have god knows how many layers of sealant and wax I want to remove.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
BenG said:
J - What is this paint cleaner you use ? I need some :)

I have god knows how many layers of sealant and wax I want to remove.

Around christmas time I decided to treat the T and the 5 to some Swissvax best of show and they were doing an offer were if you buy that and their paintcleaner you got it in a nice bag with some freebee's at a special price so being a sucker for nice packages I went for that (also it helps the BOS bond) but something like lime prime is pretty good. It does depend on what wax you're using as different peoples stuff sometimes works better with the rest of their products. How far did you get with your polishing anyway as that would have removed all of those products anyway.

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/D ... ime_1.html

Reaction score
i looked at this thread this morning, then since its my day off i decied to go get me some of that clay....Whoa, what a difference, money well spent... the trophy now looks showroom fresh !!!
now for the R27...

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
How far did you get with your polishing anyway as that would have removed all of those products anyway.

I did the boot and the bonnet then give up because I came to the conclusion I need a machine polisher, it just doesnt work by hand ! So....Im going to get one and start from scratch. It probably wont be for a while as im in the process of building a huge workshop so funds are limited, but thats another story :wink:

Reaction score
son of solo said:
i looked at this thread this morning, then since its my day off i decied to go get me some of that clay....Whoa, what a difference, money well spent... the trophy now looks showroom fresh !!!
now for the R27...

If you want your car detailed drop me a PM, my mate does it. He clayed, sealed and polished mine and it looked quality, it needs doing again though. Quite good on price too, think last time i spoke to him he was charging quite a bit cheaper for something that 'proper' detailing companies would charge £300+ for, havent spoke to him for a while so might be more expensive now.
Look here:-
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=63896
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=118486
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=71449
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=67730
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=86451
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=113008
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=115047
There is also some pics of his Bros R27 somewhere, looked good, think i might have them saved on my photobucket.

Hopefully mine will be going back in the next couple of months.

Reaction score
Cheers Scott...
very impressed with that last photo...my mates M3 was keyed by some mad bitch, he paid quite a bit to get the scratch removed by the BMW garage but to be honest it was a terrible job up close, your mate knows his stuff,
can he do anything with glass ? i somhow managed to scratch the back window of the R27 scraping the Ice off in the winter :D only joking...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
BenG said:
How far did you get with your polishing anyway as that would have removed all of those products anyway.

I did the boot and the bonnet then give up because I came to the conclusion I need a machine polisher, it just doesnt work by hand ! So....Im going to get one and start from scratch. It probably wont be for a while as im in the process of building a huge workshop so funds are limited, but thats another story :wink:

Mmmm, well I tried to tell you in a round and about way but i didn't want to douse your enthausiam :) Don't give up though it's a great feeling getting that showroom "TING" :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I thought I would give it a go and see for myself, 'learn by the errors of your ways'. :)

Sadly I dont think it will ever be in show room condition again. :(

Reaction score
Just booked mine in for the 8th to get done, think he is going to use DodoJuice Supernatuaral plus what ever else he does, will post up pics in the relevant section once its done.