Reaction score
Did an oil change last night using my old Pela pump that draws the oil out through the dip stick hole. Bish, bash, bosh, all done in 20 minutes without touching a jack, axle stand or getting oil anywhere. Filled the car with 5l of Halfords 5/40 fully synth and since I needed new screw drivers got a Halfords Advanced Professional 8 piece screwdriver set thrown in for free! :D Incidentally, the engine whine (which I thought could have been the dephaser) no longer occurs since the change too. :D :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Never heard of this method. I'd be worried about not pulling up the last bit of oil from the sump.
Did you not need just over 5l? If not you probably didn't get it all! (F4R takes 5.1l)

Reaction score
I have one of these: http://www.pelapumps.co.uk/default.aspx?a10page=pl6000

Been using it for a few years and on different cars I've owned in the past. It sucked out all 5 ltrs of oil as I filled it with 5ltrs of new oil. I guess the 0.1ltr of oil was still in the filter which wasn't changed but is changed as part of the regular annual service schedule. I do a lot of short journeys (3 miles to the station) in the car so the oil never gets to full operating temp to burn off crude and moisture that builds up in the oil, except on the weekends when I go for good blast. Because of this I tend to always change the oil every 6 months.

A friend of mine who works in a Merc dealership says they've been using this method for years and cuts down on labour costs.

Reaction score
There's a reason why merc's use it its due to smart cars not having a sump plug so this is the only method out there.

As for doing an oil change this was it's good in one sense if you changing on a regular basic however i would still recommend out of the sump plug every 2 years as per service requirements. One thing to be aware of is if your getting a tappet noise i would suggest to take the car for a long run so oil is really hot, don some glove on and undo sump plug when oil is still boiling hot then leave to drain for a few hours, pop sump plug back in change filter and refill with fresh good oil. Finally start car and leave to idle don't rev. I use this method alot on vauxhall's in particular as they suffer from old oil causing noisy tappets.

Reaction score
The service schedule is 12k miles or 12 months which ever is sooner on Renaultsport Clio btw! :oops: :wink:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Jonc said:
The service schedule is 12k miles or 12 months which ever is sooner on Renaultsport Clio btw! :oops: :wink:
Every 6k miles for a happy dephaser ;)

Reaction score
Actually your service intervals for oil change on a renault on all models of clio mk2 is 2 years, however its an annual service yearly. But your welcome to change more often if your like me its usually every 6 months due to short journeys.