Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently purchased #151 from a very friendly Robert Evans from this forum. It need a few service issues addressed but I'm happy and it drives extremely well. I have been using the search function but I still have a few questions.

1) Brakes pads are 85% worn acording to the MOT. The front disks are servicable but I think I'll replace them anyway as I'd rather have new pads bedding into new disks. Are there any particular aftermarket sets that offer performance upgrades for fast road/track work without resulting in the downside of genuine performance brakes such as squealling or needing to heat up before performing.

This set look very good value;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230830204463?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

At that price I could chuck the brake pads and fit something a little better. Any ideas on brake fluid with a higher boiling point?

2) Steering wheel refurb. My car has a little melting and it was a little annoying on the 120mile drive home last night. I see the replacent from Renault is around £360 and likelt to happen again. Has anyone actually had the vinyl? part of the wheel replaced with real leather? I would have thought that would work better whilst retaining the original look and feel and airbag/buttons etc.

3) Front splitter. Is the front splitter the same as the 182 cars? Is there a source of a used part I could fit which is generic to the other models?

Many thanks in advance. I am very happy with the car. It's a real change from my last car (TVR Cerbera) but likely to be a lot cheaper to run which will be nice. I feel like I'm 18 again in the car and it reminds me of my old Renault 5 GTT.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Welcome to the forum and dont forget to update the status of #151 on the owners register :)
1) 'Most' people here opt for Brembo discs front - either high carbon (HC) or grooved generally as they are very similar to OEM but significantly cheaper. Pad wise, you will always get some squeal / performance drop off when cold, not that its noticable imho - a worthy sacrifice for decent performance when you need it. Pad wise Ferodo DS2500 are also popular.
2) Steering wheels can be refurbed and I was sure someone on cliosport was doing them (I am also on the lookout for this). £200 is about rate altho cheaper can be found.
3) front splitter is same for all 182 and later 172's. I think several 'similar' one from Megane and Sloda have been used iirc. Official one is £145 (my bank balance vouches for this)

Dont think it will quite sound the same as a Cerbera though :) proper car

Reaction score
‘Arran182’ on CS is the guy to ask about the wheel - never seen an all leather one before though. - i will have a spare melted one soon for a retrim when i get my new one fitted.
oh and welcome...

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

#151 was up at a decent price did you buy it without the dampers being done?

There is an offer over on the clio forum from a Renault dealer for brakes if you wanted to buy standard items and Royal Steering wheels were recommended to me for a re-trim.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

#151 was up at a decent price did you buy it without the dampers being done?

There is an offer over on the clio forum from a Renault dealer for brakes if you wanted to buy standard items and Royal Steering wheels were recommended to me for a re-trim.

Yes - one of the Sachs dampers had lost it's gas. I'm getting them rebuilt shortly but it has been fitted with new Cup dampers for now and is driving very well on them.

I've just bought a cambelt/aux belt kit from K-Tec and will have them fitted next week. The car was keenly priced but I've factored in the work required to get it back to 100% (just service items + splitter) and then it's not an amazing deal. However I will have a low mileage clean car which I KNOW is well serviced :)

Reaction score
Had not spotted the post about it not having had the belts done! Not to worry it will be a nice low mileage one when its all done!