Reaction score
obviously the trophy's all still have around 8 months warranty left on them, however what will modifications do to this warranty??

If I was to fit an aftermarket exhaust, would all warranty be voided??...even if something like an electric window stopped working which is clearly not related to the exhaust at all. Would Renault fix this under warranty because the exhaust was not linked to the problem??

where do you stand with modifications and warranty?? Are some mods approved and some not?? Or like I said if a problem arrises which is clearly nothing to do with the modification then do Renault turn a blind eye to it and fix the problem anyway?? Or most likely are you F**ked and have to pay? :lol:

All info greatly appreciated.

Matt

Reaction score
Im sure and hope that as long as the warranty claim/work has nothing to do with a mod like broken cat on the exhaust, then it should still be ok for the rest of the car

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steelers will try to pin any faults with cars to modifications, it's in their interest (so they think). e.g. if you've got a IK on it and the cat blows up, they'll probably argue that it's the cat that caused it.

If you're technical enough to identify the cause, and it isn't the modication's fault, they could be a good chance of you getting round the issue.....

I've held off with the mods until now - with the trophy half way through it's warrenty i'm going to be doing some now, ramping up to the end of warrenty when it'll be full steam ahead on some proper improvements...

Reaction score
Cue said:
Steelers will try to pin any faults with cars to modifications, it's in their interest (so they think). e.g. if you've got a IK on it and the cat blows up, they'll probably argue that it's the cat that caused it.

If you're technical enough to identify the cause, and it isn't the modication's fault, they could be a good chance of you getting round the issue.....

I've held off with the mods until now - with the trophy half way through it's warrenty i'm going to be doing some now, ramping up to the end of warrenty when it'll be full steam ahead on some proper improvements...

thats what I was thinking, they always try to get out of anything but if something goes wrong which an exhaust has abosloutely nothing to do with then surely it could be sorted out under warranty.

I want to go ahead with mods (nothing too major) but its the parents who are having a nag :lol:

Reaction score
It's up to the dealer / manufacturer to prove that the modification has caused the problem.

Generally most dealers in my experience are OK, the only trouble you are going to have is if the part that has failed is connected directly to a none std part.

I even once got BMW to install a brand new engine in my modified M3 under warranty.

Reaction score
my brother rang up Renault UK today for me and spoke to the warranty department in customer services and they said that if the modification has nothing to do with the problem then the problem will be fixed under warranty.

They are sending this to me in writing which means im happy, parents are sort of happy :lol: and my car is getting a couple of modifications at the weekend ready for Sunday's Westerham Cliosport meet! :D

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
my brother rang up Renault UK today for me and spoke to the warranty department in customer services and they said that if the modification has nothing to do with the problem then the problem will be fixed under warranty.

They are sending this to me in writing which means im happy, parents are sort of happy :lol: and my car is getting a couple of modifications at the weekend ready for Sunday's Westerham Cliosport meet! :D

So Matt, what mods are you up to? If you need any help PM me.

Reaction score
got a yozzasport exhaust and decat delivered today

got different brake parts being delivered at various points during this week...

brembo 280mm max brake disks
pagid blue rs4-2 pads
goodridge hoses
and gonna nick some racing fluid from my brothers stash

then within the next couple of weeks thinking k-tec group N ECU and ITG panel filter.

and probably the last on the list will be a trip to Mark Fish.

anyone got any good points or bad points for any of these mods or any other recommended mods or alternatives?

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:

pagid blue rs4-2 pads
goodridge hoses

then within the next couple of weeks thinking k-tec group N ECU and ITG panel filter.

anyone got any good points or bad points for any of these mods or any other recommended mods or alternatives?

I'd say go with all of those, you've done the good research by the sounds of it. While you've got the wheels off, get those pins out of the dampers, 2 minute job, free and easiest way to go faster on track!

Reaction score
Steve said:
Matt X2C said:

pagid blue rs4-2 pads
goodridge hoses

I'd say go with all of those, you've done the good research by the sounds of it. While you've got the wheels off, get those pins out of the dampers, 2 minute job, free and easiest way to go faster on track!

anyone got any guidelines for taking the pins out? Or is it very straightforward. It will help me keep up with my mates 172 Cup on H&R's round Donnington in Early April :D

i'll have a look when i get the brakes fitted but may just leave it to Mark Fish whenever I get round to going down there later on in the year!

Reaction score
7MAT said:
You don't hang about, nice list of mods. Let me know if you want you pins removed.

no i don't :lol: They are all simple mods though and I had plenty of time to plan as I wanted the trophy for ages before I actually got it.

I may well take you up on that offer with the pins tho, cheers Matt.

TRL

Reaction score
Looks like I will have to take Matts lead - after all I dont want to have the slowest Trophy in Croydon.....thats 3 now - any more on our doorstep?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
matt X2C - make sure you do some reno track days this year..... I wanna see what half of the improvements i'm planning are like - the other half will be done by mid april

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
anyone got any guidelines for taking the pins out?

See the four donkeys post, it's really simple, if you've got a jack and an allen key - you can do it. PM donkey if you need help.

Reaction score
just read the donkey post, definately going to have a look when the brakes are being fitted.

but somebody asked an interesting question in the other thread, can they be re-pinned? If for whatever reason they needed/wanted to be?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
artdealer said:
You don't want any dealer bailing out of a warranty claim on your dampers due to de-pinning ....

Very very good point!!!! They can be re-pinned, but beware........ They aint cheap to replace..