MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I always get my EML and it showed with a mifire so i have done the following.

New Oil filter & oil
New Air filter
New Pollen filter
New Coil pack
New HT leads
And i have just done my spark plugs which where bad.

Picture004-1.gif

Picture003-1.gif

Now im getting the EML on with this code saying i need a bank 1 lambda probe.
The car is running fine with now problems and no misfire.
The EML comes and goes when it likes, I only put shell optimax (V-Power) in the car so thinking i should maybe change this.

Picture005-1.gif

Reaction score
Trophy No.
V-power won;t be a problem.

Doesn't it say right there? O2 sensor malfunction (one of the lambdas iirc, I forget which)

Reaction score
Bank 1, sensor 1 will be first sensor in the manifold, i had same issue when first purchasing my vehicle and got mine done under warranty just to save some cash more than anything, anyway looks as though your need a lambda sensor i think from renault there around the £90-100 but don't quote me on that, its either that or the standard one is bosch and most after market places do them for around £60. All of your replacements above seem to be normal considering i had to replace exactly the same items on mine too.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
so i have 3 lambda probes in my car ?

I have one before CAT and one after CAT and now you have said that "Bank 1, sensor 1 will be first sensor in the manifold"
I aint ever known a car to have 3 lambda probes.

Reaction score
Theres only 2 lambda sensors. Pre-cat and "first one in manifold" are refering to the same one.

The Pre-cat sensor controls fueling in closed loop operation and the post cat sensor just checks the emissions are ok and controls the emissions light, it doesnt affect the running of the vehicle.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
From what i see when my car is on the ramp at work there is 2 lambda probes.

There is one at the front of the CAT coming from the manifold / downpipe and one at the back of the CAT before the center section.

i done a google search and mines is just like this.

2lv0j7k.jpg

Reaction score
MarcR said:
From what i see when my car is on the ramp at work there is 2 lambda probes.

There is one at the front of the CAT coming from the manifold / downpipe and one at the back of the CAT before the center section.

i done a google search and mines is just like this.

2lv0j7k.jpg

1. there "are" 2 probes
2. serious looking exhaust, what make?

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I dont really notice MPG but if im on the motorway the needle goes down rapid.

If im popping about town a full tank can last me 2/3 weeks easy.

I think the easy option is to replace both lambda's and then i can take it from there

Reaction score
Hold your horses don't do both theres no point unless both are coming up on diagnostics then it will be to do with air coming into engine.

Firstly the picture supplied is not a 182 the lambda sensor sits on the manifold end not the cat end, thats the first sensor and the one that is faulty.

Now the second sensor all that does is take a reading to check that the CAT is actually working its not for fueling.

I found that when my sensor failed caused a random misfire, it could be felt when driving but was only every now and again but on idle you could really tell there went something rite.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Just been out and took picture sof the lambda probes in teh car "THE FIRST 2 PICTURES" are at the front of the CAT

The 3rd picture is at the back of the CAT

Sensor001-1.gif

Senor001.gif

Sensor02.gif

Reaction score
Can i correct, first 2 pictures are the manifold as its one piece and last picture is cat hope that clears it up.

As for replacement replace manifold sensor only, erase codes & recheck for fault.

Liam

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
See i would class that as Before the Cat as it is infront of the cat and i would also say it was a downpipe but hey what do i know.

I will change Bank 1 lambda (Before the cat in the manifold) for a genuine renault jobby, clear all faults and take for a wee run and then throw it back on the VAS5052 at wiork

Reaction score
Sounds good to me and its the manifold on the 182 as its then end of the 4-2-1 system, a down pipe is usually what is connected between the manifold and the cat on older vehicles and usually contains a flexible joint, newer vehicles have a tendency to run the cat now within the manifold due to heat and better/quicker efficiency.

182 System if its after market will consist of Manifold - cat - center pipe - back boxes, however if standard the exhaust from cat back is one system so it goes manifold - cat - cat back exhaust, hope that helps. And the sensor as you call it before the cat controls/checks running efficiency of engine and emissions, the one after the cat check emissions and efficiency of cat.

The lambda works by reading oxygen content in the exhaust system and compares it to exterior oxygen reading, due to the speed at which this works at the emissions will never stay spot on so you will either get an rich or lean burn that is kept inside parameters controlled via the ECU (engine control unit) and will be on what is classed as a lookup table. Bellow is a website that probably explains it better than i do.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-injection5.htm

What is happening or seems to be happening is that your lambda isn't reading the mixture correctly, weather that has been detected by second lambda i cant however i can say if it was further up the system say injectors, spark or air it would bring a fault into both lambda's not just one so it has classed the first sensor as faulty.
This in turn then puts the engine management light (EML) on the dash and reverts from using the first lambda sensor and now uses the lookup table hence why you will most likely suffer poor fuel economy and poor running due to the engine not working as efficiently as it should be.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Bought a Bosch upstream bank 1 lambda probe today for £38.00 from my local motor factors.
Going to fit this tonight and fingers crossed