Reaction score
Insurance is up for renewal and i've now got 5 years NCB. Directline want an extra £130 to protect my NCB. I am in two minds if i should splash out the extra for it. Especially as the trophy is soon to become my weekend car as i just can't keep doing 500-600 miles a week in it. With that in mind the trophy will only be doing 4-5 thousand miles a year.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i would just tell them you only do low milage now, if its gonna be garaged soon.

i got my best price from liverpool victoria (frzzel) the discount for low milage.

hope this helps

matt

Reaction score
try the rac.
i paid 550 with clean licence this year with 450 excess.
rac quoted 388 with sp30 and 220 excess for next year!!!!

felix

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't protect my no claims again.

I have done on my current policy but i think that was a knee-jerk reaction to getting my first new car and wanting to wrap it in cottom wool! I paid 686 (25, 6yrs NCB Protected) but if I hadn't protected the premium would have been 600

From what I understand a protected NCB is only valid if you stay with the same company, and if you swapped your NCB would be determined conventionally. What this basically means is that your current provider could hike your premium while retaining your NCB leaving you not much better off than if you hadn't have protected and switch companies.

Another point to consider is that if you have a prang you are unlikely to lose all your NCB. My insurer told me that in the even of a claim they would knock the NCB back to 5 yrs, then take off 2 for each claim made - ie. if i pranged it I would be reduced to 3yrs NCB. This may differ from one insurer to another but their policy is likely to be along similar lines.

hyb

Reaction score
It depends what kind of ncb your getting. My dad has unlimited protected no claims, he managed to reverse his bmw estate into a pillar in a multistory (god knows how). Repair bill was £700 of which all went through the insurer

Reaction score
It's risk vs cost really. I've protected my NCD, as it only cost £60 for the year. Best thing to do is check the T&C's to see exactly what it means. Some firms will not provide a "full" NCD proof if you switch insurers come renewal, but most will. This is a moot point for me, as Direct line are sooo much cheaper for my postcode.

When you hit max NCD, many firms will knock you back to 3 years if you have one at fault claim in a year, again check T&C's.

If I can recommend one thing, get some form of motor legal protection, either through your insurer, or independently. Best upsell they can offer you. Both the times someone has hit my car, the other insurer pressured for a knock for knock, but thanks to the motor legal, I recovered excess on both occasions, and also got compo for inconvenience, indirect costs etc etc. You can sort this on your own, but for a tenner a year, let the experts do it for you.

Reaction score
Slightly off topic I know,

But when i first insured my car, it was put on the details as a Clio 2.0 16v 182. I am renewing the insurance end of next month, and i thought that if i was in an accident (touch wood i am not) and damage was caused to the front shocks, would my insurance be void, as they havent put on the details that the car is a Trophy.

:? :? :?

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. From what you guys have said i think firstly i will shop around other places to see if i can get a cheaper quote. I will also read the T&C's of directlines protected NCB.

Reaction score
from what i know protected NCBs are a total waste of money. do not mak th emistake of thinking they will stop your premium from rising if you make a claim, they will not. NCB is only a factor in deciding your premium, not the whole thing.