Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
=D> 410 miles on a tank, 40.8mpg.... just filled up with v-power and will be giving #274 a good clean this w/e as a reward for breaking the 400 mile per tank magical milestone.

A few probably do this, but as they've mainly been town miles not motorway miles I think it's an achievement...... 8)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Blimey, as i only really use mine for fun "hooning" now i just notice huge chunks of the petrol gauge go missing, probably getting about half that.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i read somewhere about hyper milers or something like that... people who are nutty about fuel efficiency.

I've employed a few of their tactics and it's amazing the effect it can have. Switching the engine off at lights, reversing into spaces so you don't waste petrol when the engines cold etc. Not sure how good it is for the started motor though.

Some of the stuff was ridiculous but they were seeing 100 mpg on 1.3's engined novas etc.

Reaction score
Cue said:
i read somewhere about hyper milers or something like that... people who are nutty about fuel efficiency.

I've employed a few of their tactics and it's amazing the effect it can have. Switching the engine off at lights, reversing into spaces so you don't waste petrol when the engines cold etc. Not sure how good it is for the started motor though.

Some of the stuff was ridiculous but they were seeing 100 mpg on 1.3's engined novas etc.

These people need to get out more #-o

Sod switching the lights off @ lights, what if an emergency vehicle is approaching rapidly & you need to move immediately for instance?

I always reverse into spaces, but I won't drive off until the auto-choke (Showing a bit of age) has settled down (90 seconds iirc)

Still impressive all the same Cue :D

Reaction score
that deserves an award.. As per Hoolio... 154 is mainly used for responsible hooning purposes and a little round town driving.. Likewise I largely cringe everytime I arrive back on the driveway and observe the reduction in fuel guage level.. :!:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
LoL @ "responsible hooning" isn't that a contradiction in terms :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Lol at 'Responsible Hooning Purposes'. I always try to save on petrol but trying to not put my foot down makes me want to do it even more. I cant resist ! + I seem to have noticed people are drivin alot slower these days, maybe its to do with the cost of petrol etc I dont know, but im overtaking alot more.

Cue that has got to be some sort of record! They must have been 410 very boring miles tho. how long could ya keep that up.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
let's put it this way... the current mpg is at 25 lol.... but i did overtake a few people last week after tiny bit of road rage kicked in when a rover driver nearly took my front bumper off pulling out on me at a roundabout.... then I saw it drop off 40mpg and thought better of it for the challenge.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
LoL @ "responsible hooning" isn't that a contradiction in terms :)
BenG266 said:
Lol at 'Responsible Hooning Purposes'.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, Responsible in as much as I am sensible with my speed around residential areas.. Perhaps a little less sensible elsewhere... What can I say, I just love the 5k shove in the back...

Oh and for the record, I drove to the station today, which is only around 4 miles and I thought, yes I shall behave myself.. However, I saw my MPG fall from 32.9 to 32.8 and then though.. Oh to hell with it... D'oh! :roll:

S4M

Reaction score
I can get 400 miles to tank, have to have a nice motorway run tho :lol: Was getting 15.5 around the nurburgring (sometimes lower) and on the way back from germany yesterday i filled her up with €66 of Vpower and got 230 miles to the tank :lol: Gotta love the autobahn....

Reaction score
So, what's the most economical cruising speed then? I've got to drive up to Scotland next month so I'm keen to stretch out the fuel on the drive up.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'd say around 48mph to 51 mph with the t's gearing. as long as you keep it sub 3k revs you'll be seeing north of 40 mpg though, but again, on the motorway it will be mighty boring.... around 60-62 mph i think #-o

Reaction score
Manchester to Scotland at 51 mph might be a bit too slow - I think I might try setting the cruise control for 65 - 70 and then sit back.......

Reaction score
I managed manchester to bicester, driving round bicester friday night, then all the way to farnborough for the airshow then back to birmingham on a tank. Thought that was pretty darn good seeing as me and the mrs and loads of stuff for camping etc was in the car!!

Reaction score
400 miles is very good going. I culdn't get that if i tried as i often have a bit of traffic in rush hour and normally let it idol for a bit when cold, which is the worst thing for fuel consumption. Saying that i nearly always get over 30mpg with a bit of blatting and pretty much all town driving which isn't bad!

After the weekend before last at the Nurburgring I burnt so much fuel im driving the trophy really easy this week to give it a break and try and save some money and it definately is noticeable for sure. I have taken the Westfield out the last 3 days so im not missing putting my foot down in the Trophy just yet. Didn't reset the mileage so wont know how far this tank will go, but if it seems longer then i'll keep it up! A tank normally lasts me around 2 weeks unless I have a motorway drive to do somewhere.

A couple of things that have been mentioned though:

1. I think i heard the most efficient speed is 58mph for the clio....think this is the perfect balance between speed and engine work (basically fast enough for you to be covering decent mileage, but with the engine doing little work in comparison)

2. Also mentioning turning engines off at lights to save petrol. I heard that starting your car wastes more fuel than leaving it running? Is this not true?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Matt X2C said:
2. Also mentioning turning engines off at lights to save petrol. I heard that starting your car wastes more fuel than leaving it running? Is this not true?

depends on how long the wait is is suppose. I wouldn't recommend it as I don't think it'll be doing your starter motor etc any good.

Reaction score
Cue said:
Matt X2C said:

depends on how long the wait is is suppose. I wouldn't recommend it as I don't think it'll be doing your starter motor etc any good.

Yeah, should have finished that sentense properly, i think for say 10 or so seconds I heard that you would waste more fuel turning your car off and then back on ratehr than just leaving it running for the 10 seconds....not sure how true that is though. What you did obviously worked.