Reaction score
Hi every 1, just invested in a trophy after being a 106 rallye owner for a few years and very very impressed with it! I have noticed though that when I reverse or go forward slowly and turn steering when parking the front suspnsion make a sort of knocking ping noise, is this normal?

Reaction score
taphasms said:
Hi every 1, just invested in a trophy after being a 106 rallye owner for a few years and very very impressed with it! I have noticed though that when I reverse or go forward slowly and turn steering when parking the front suspnsion make a sort of knocking ping noise, is this normal?

Yep, they all do this, apart from Cue's. When you first pull away the brakes will do a quite alarming 'self test' on the ABS, which sort of knocks three times, it is exaggerated if you reverse out from a space and sounds quite squiffy. It's all quitre tightly packed in there (hence the shite turning circle) so it does tend to knock about a bit on full lock.

P.S. Post your number in the Owners Register to get your Trophy Owner status and third star. Thanks.

Reaction score
thanks,= for that... Please forgive the spelling on the front thread...shocking!!!

Reaction score
it does make noises on full lock, mine does two things - I get some scrub from the front tyres, and also I think theres some noise from the driveshafts which will be a their limit in these positions - pretty normal for a FWD car (and the reason why FWD cars tend to have less lock available than RWD)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Used to only get the ABS test noise but am now getting more clunks at full lock.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
donkey said:
it does make noises on full lock, mine does two things - I get some scrub from the front tyres, and also I think theres some noise from the driveshafts which will be a their limit in these positions - pretty normal for a FWD car (and the reason why FWD cars tend to have less lock available than RWD)

yeh i get tyre srubbing on full circle, i think its because of my near illegal tyres though.

Max

Reaction score
Cue said:
donkey said:

yeh i get tyre srubbing on full circle, i think its because of my near illegal tyres though.

I'm so pleased the tyre scrubbing is normal, was going to get it checked out. I try to avoid full lock as it makes me cringe.

Reaction score
Max said:
Cue said:
donkey said:

I'm so pleased the tyre scrubbing is normal, was going to get it checked out. I try to avoid full lock as it makes me cringe.

My knocking has definitely become more pronounced with age, could this be the steering/front suspension loosening up and allowing more contact between components? Or maybe the tyres being more worn? Anyway i know what you mean, manouvering around an underground car park can sound pretty nasty and my grilfriend always asks if it's supposed to make that noise.

Another thing I have noticed is since the brakes have gone to hell (they really don't work now and didn't generate enough stopping power to activate the ABS the other day when they should have) the ABS test has become more pronounced pinging four or five times when it used to be three.