Reaction score
I have just taken my Trophy into renault and got told my front shock drivers side has gone, now is it best to get a replacement from them or buy some new shocks? The replacement wil cost just under £1500. :(

Reaction score
lance182 said:
I have just taken my Trophy into renault and got told my front shock drivers side has gone, now is it best to get a replacement from them or buy some new shocks? The replacement wil cost just under £1500. :(

The shocks for the Trophy can be rebuilt, do a search ;)

Reaction score
If you mean your damper has gone, then I suggest you read through this foum as it has been well covered and get them refurbished by BG Motorsport @Silverstone for about £450ish the pair. I know I'm being pedantic and I blame the Americans for us using the term shock to describe a damper now. The damper unit stops the oscillations of the spring which technically is the shock absorber :twisted:

Always best getting any suspension work done to both side's at one time, though I'm sure the reason Renault quoted on one unit was because if they suggested two at £3000 you would have been in even more pain than you are at the moment.

I believe that getting them refurbished is the best action to take as replacing these excellent units with inferior dampers from a lesser Clio or god forbid some cheap neasty underdeveloped 'coil-over' kinda takes away the whole point of owning a Trophy.

Of course if I'm being ubber pedantic a coil-over is any damper unit with a coil(spring) around its body and as the Clio has separate damper and spring arrangemtnat rear unless completly modified will never have coil-overs on there.

I beter stop now before I sound like a complete nutter :oops:

Reaction score
Did Renault tell you need a replacment :lol: never miss a trick do they (or they're cluless)

As Rick C196 mentioned they are rebuildable if seals have gone.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
As mentioned, do the re-build. It's something all of our cars will have to have done soon, if not already.

(BTW - Register yours in the new owners forum so we have a history of your Trophy number! :) )

Reaction score
As above get in tough with BG Motorsport.

If you are able to take them off and send them turn around is under a week. Just had mine done at a total cost of 405 quid.

Rich

Reaction score
j333evo said:
I know I'm being pedantic and I blame the Americans for us using the term shock to describe a damper now. The damper unit stops the oscillations of the spring which technically is the shock absorber :twisted:

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!

You are not being pedantic, but using correct terminology! Thank you, it annoys me eveytime i read "shock"!

Reaction score
Thanks very much, i was thinking off getting some coilovers but now will look into the re-build off them. Plus will get the number and put her on here.

Reaction score
nickboazracing said:
j333evo said:
I know I'm being pedantic and I blame the Americans for us using the term shock to describe a damper now. The damper unit stops the oscillations of the spring which technically is the shock absorber :twisted:

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!

You are not being pedantic, but using correct terminology! Thank you, it annoys me eveytime i read "shock"!

Phew I thought it was just me, for some reason I find myself getting annoyed at dampers being called shocks or shock absorbers. A friend of mine who runs Lunar Racing over at Rockingham chastises his apprentices for it and gives them the damper , spring ( shock absorber) talk!

Though looking back at my posts today my sleeping has been shocking & another pedant could pull me up for that. I blame trying to write replies on an iPhone!

Reaction score
j333evo said:
Though looking back at my posts today my sleeping has been shocking & another pedant could pull me up for that. I blame trying to write replies on an iPhone!

Your spelling has been pretty bad too! I know what you mean though, the iPhone keyboard is just too small!

Reaction score
BG Motorsport usually have a bit of a lead time. They come back functioning as good as new. Who knows, with consistent work done across every damper possibly better! But IMO a Trophy is not a Trophy without the Sachs Dampers so don't throw them away.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
artdealer said:
BG Motorsport usually have a bit of a lead time. They come back functioning as good as new. Who knows, with consistent work done across every damper possibly better! But IMO a Trophy is not a Trophy without the Sachs Dampers so don't throw them away.

I agree, and I'm sure many others will too.

Reaction score
Iv got my dampers booked in for a refurb on the 17th may as my car now handles like jelly. Does anybody know the weight of them so i can work out the best place to post them with?
cheers