Reaction score
Hi have just purchased my new car and have come to register it on the build number page and the car allready exists and is owned elsewhere ???!!!???.
Now surely there cant be 2 with the same number.
Is it possible to verify the authenticity of the number by checking against some other number ( chassis,engine etc.) or should renault hold this information.
Slightly confussed so any ideas welcome.
Thanks

Reaction score
g40steve said:
Whats the no'??

There was a thread last year about a similar case.

Try searching??
Have allready tried various searches but not managed to find anything but will keep searching.

Reaction score
Sorry didnt see the link ,
just read it now
Did this ever get sorted i.e was it a mistake by renault and they had numbered 2 cars the same ???.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
jon82 said:
Hi have just purchased my new car and have come to register it on the build number page and the car allready exists and is owned elsewhere ???!!!???.
Is it possible to verify the authenticity of the number by checking against some other number ( chassis,engine etc.) or should renault hold this information.
Thanks

Where did you buy it? I wouldn't worry all this probably means is that awesomeO has sold it and you are the new owner
. Simple.

Reaction score
Maybe Renault actually made a few too many so just duplicated some of the numbers so everyone thought there were still only 500 as promised .i.e keeping the trophy exclusive. They probably never imagined a site like this would be put together...
Possibly unlikely but you never know.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
jon82 said:
Thanks

Where did you buy it? I wouldn't worry all this probably means is that awesomeO has sold it and you are the new owner
. Simple.
Sorry probably didn't include enough info in original post.
The guy I bought from was the only owner (from new) and he was not awesome0
should have made this clear at first.
Have pmd awesome0 and am trying to send him a pic of my plaque.
Obviously hell be as confussed as i am.

Reaction score
Good suggestion Hoolio, but, I've still got mine (at least it was there when I left for work... :? )

Am very confused about all this - had mine checked by Renault before I bought it, (someone on here's old man actually, so he obviously knows what he is looking for...)

As long as we both have a genuine ones I suppose it's just some renault fook up, but it is a little worring that its happened at all..

Sam, your suggestion seems the most logical tbh. I can't believe that they would have printed extra plaques by mistake and then not noticed that they had built too many cars - that would just be village

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hmmn, to happen once is possibly a mistake, to happen at least twice (that we know of) is more than co-incidence in my book. The stickers (if genuine) must have been printed by someone, the artwork, probably will not have duplicates, I work with designers day in day out and even the lax ones aren't that bad that they'd stick the same number in a sequence of only 501 in twice,

I'm puzzled at this.....

Reaction score
wonder when identical numbered cars were first registered/sold? if it was a known 'mistake' suppose they would make sure the cars were kept as separate as possible...

I bag all clones of 316 :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Oh dear, what a bunch of numpties, how difficult is it to number cars 1,2,3.............
Don't think the other two guys ever got to the bottom of it, they just dissapeared off the site. :(

Reaction score
Clearly only Renault know the answer to this! You say there's only been 2 duplicates but we don't know that, there could be more as there's lots that are not registered on this site.... :?:

Reaction score
i heard of a trophy uk trophy with a swiss plate on...the number of the car was correct but the number was out of 50 rather than 500
RSUK supplied a replacement plate in the end
so its fair to say mistakes have been made
aparently there is a VIN number to car number record at RSUK
JT holds the answer to this one