Reaction score
Steve said:
clarki said:
Nice cars those jdm civics. My brother is currently doing a personal import for himself. Test drove one when he was in japan on business and was blown away.

Thing is, I keep telling him; the Honda VTEC - all that lagg and no turbo, its like waiting for bad sex !! :lol: :wink:

A common misconception about VTEC, it has actually utilises the benefits of two cam profiles, the switchover point being where the torque curve of the first meets the torque curve of the second, therefore maximum torque all the time, it just feels like a wallop as the change in gradient of the torque curve at 6000 revs means the power increase ramps up and then doesn't desist until you bounce of the limiter at 9000. It can seem as though you're slow up until the VTEC point because you get used to the top end power but it's certainly not sluggish or lagged in it's delivery, it couldn't be more the opposite. The cable throttle coupled with a lightened fly-wheel and relatively small capacity engine actually makes the throttle response hair-trigger sharp, something that's hard to replicate in a fly-by-wire system.

Hope that clears things up.

Skulks back to ricers.net where he might have an audience.

:shock: Err, OK then - I was just taking the pi$$ out of my bro tbh :wink:

SpaceMonkey - drive a 977, or an AMG merc, or an M Power car, or an...the list is endless to be honest. Although I would agree the gearbox in my CTR was the best ive had in any car to date, the engine wasnt particularly smooth, throttle response not all that instant and engine torque not all that noticeable.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i've never driven an AMG merc with a manual gearbox - not even sure they do them....... i think you also mean 997 not 977, typo?

Reaction score
Cue said:
i've never driven an AMG merc with a manual gearbox - not even sure they do them....... i think you also mean 997 not 977, typo?

Yeah, 997 - deliberate mistake :oops: Fantastic car - best car ive ever driven was a 997 C2S with the Porsche Performance Package. What a machine :shock:

Yeah, true, merc aint big on manuals. How about a Zonda? That has an AMG merc engine, and its manual - chances are its a bit better than anything Honda has to offer :? Phew, got out of that one :lol:

Nah, tbh i'm not a big VTEC fan, wasnt for me, but many people are, so im probably wrong!! Who cares, if we all liked the same thing it'd be a kinda boring place.

Reaction score
clarki said:
SpaceMonkey - drive a 977, or an AMG merc, or an M Power car, or an...the list is endless to be honest. Although I would agree the gearbox in my CTR was the best ive had in any car to date, the engine wasnt particularly smooth, throttle response not all that instant and engine torque not all that noticeable.

Clarki - I'm not disputing there is better out there, but I was talking about the best I'd driven :wink:

I would jump @ the opportunity to drive any of the cars you listed tbh 8)

Reaction score
SpaceMonkey said:
Corney - They will be fine on the motorway mate, but will hold about 4K @ 70-80ish even in 6th. But don't forget they rev to 8,400rpm so won't feel as hard work as it would in the Clio.
I was looking for gear ratios (in mph/1000rev) but never found them. My FG2 sat at 3k @ 70mph so it made for real easy motorway driving, but what I've read on the FD2 so far is that as you indicate its more in 197 territory on the motorway.

Reaction score
Thanks Space Monkey and Duffer987. What I really would like is the Spec C Impreza currently for sale for £30,000 at Litchfield. The Type R is tempting though, its something different and a bit more affordable than the Scoob.

Reaction score
corneyman said:
Thanks Space Monkey and Duffer987. What I really would like is the Spec C Impreza currently for sale for £30,000 at Litchfield. The Type R is tempting though, its something different and a bit more affordable than the Scoob.

This car is a guy I know from the TRO forum, Liam.

He has pampered this car & only going because he's going to an Spec C RA-R
Well worth a look :wink:

Reaction score
Can't wait to come down and see it Steve,

I'll be leaving my car documents at home along with my savings account book!!!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
wrightyrs said:
Can't wait to come down and see it Steve,

I'll be leaving my car documents at home along with my savings account book!!!!

you taking passengers? or you going mid week?

Reaction score
I'll be posting pics when I get 5 - been very busy last few days, which is good but why do all the sales come in a few days!!

Only showing the car I'm afraid. Joe and I have decided to keep the miles to an absolute minimum so the new owner gets an as-new car with 21Kms on the clock. (will now go up in miles obviously...) we even trailered it from Soton.

What I can say though is that even at 5mph, you can tell this car has an incredibly rigid body and very firm suspension. 225 45 potenza RE070s look hot too :) Lively throttle pedal with FBW ..

I will admit it's a big step up from the Teg build and appearance wise, as much as i love them!

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. How does the ride compare to the Trophy? A tempting upgrade.

Reaction score
corneyman said:
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. How does the ride compare to the Trophy? A tempting upgrade.

Completely different, the body is much stiffer and the suspension is firmer then the CT. refinement wise, it sits between CT and DC5 but I've only moved it around a bit, maybe I'll buy one to have as a demo, but that will be a couple of months away with delay between bid and landed here!

Reaction score
Must work harder.
Must be single.
Must dump mortgage and rent a shithole of a flat again.

Um.or...
Must leave work at five, have sex on tap with woman of my dreams, live in nice flat that I own and drive best fwd car of all time...

Reaction score
Does like nice. My bro gets his tomorrow.

We're going for a bit of a driving adventure during the easter break. Be good to see how his new Type R gets on against my new R26 8) Should be fun trying different roads, swapping cars, etc, etc.

N/A v Turbo - place your bets :lol: He is a much better driver than me though :oops:

Reaction score
I'm glad that Allvehicles and Litchfield are a fair distance from Yorkshire. If they were closer Ithink it would be bye bye Clio and hello Type R.It looks fantastic in white though the blue one at Litchfield does look well.

Reaction score
People are going to see them out and about, go to local dealer and ask for one of the white Type R saloons and get a blank look. Not everyone goes online and the flipside being that 99% of Honda sales execs have prob never jeard of the car either! These would fly out the door!

Steve: All I can say is..... give it a few years :)