Reaction score
Trophy No.
Think the brakes are the first thing I will venture into improving, after 3 weeks of spirited driving they are simply not good enough IMO.

Reaction score
Dot 5 as in the silicone based fluid, isn't really the best option. You'd be a lot better off with a good quality dot 4 fluid.

Dot 5 doesn't absorb moisture in to the fluid, but it still get's in the system, that's one of the difference's between 4 and 5, a consequence of the above is that the pedal is never as good as with dot 5 as it is with dot 4, also dot 5 needs replacing a lot more often due to this. One way to visualise it, is imagine dropping a small amount of food dye in to a bottle of water, it will readily mix and all the fluid is affected (Dot 4) now do the same but add oil instead of dye, you'll clearly be able too see the 2 different fluids (dot 5)
Now imagine the you pour fluid into your brake system, the water/dye (dot 4) will not cause you any problems as the fluid is uniform in it's capabilities, where as the water/oil (dot 5) is different, imagine the oil in the liquid as the bubble in a spirit level, ie it moves around but never mixes with the fluid, that's what any moisture in your braking system will be doing, it is possible for it too congregate in one or two areas, now imagine that's in both front calipers, now that's not going to be a happy ending.

Dot 5 is fine if your replacing it every trackday or so, but if you want too leave it in for 2 years then Dot 4 is the one to go for.

Chris

Edited to remove the .1 #-o

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
480bhp.com said:
Dot 5.1 as in the silicone based fluid, isn't really the best option. You'd be a lot better off with a good quality dot 4 fluid.

Dot 5.1 doesn't absorb moisture in to the fluid, but it still get's in the system, that's one of the difference's between 4 and 5.1, a consequence of the above is that the pedal is never as good as with dot 5.1 as it is with dot 4, also dot 5.1 needs replacing a lot more often due to this. One way to visualise it, is imagine dropping a small amount of food dye in to a bottle of water, it will readily mix and all the fluid is affected (Dot 4) now do the same but add oil instead of dye, you'll clearly be able too see the 2 different fluids (dot 5.1)
Now imagine the you pour fluid into your brake system, the water/dye (dot 4) will not cause you any problems as the fluid is uniform in it's capabilities, where as the water/oil (dot 5.1) is different, imagine the oil in the liquid as the bubble in a spirit level, ie it moves around but never mixes with the fluid, that's what any moisture in your braking system will be doing, it is possible for it too congregate in one or two areas, now imagine that's in both front calipers, now that's not going to be a happy ending.

Dot 5.1 is fine if your replacing it every trackday or so, but if you want too leave it in for 2 years then Dot 4 is the one to go for.

Chris

i've been preaching this for 3 years, glad someone agrees with science...lol.

Reaction score
The dot5.1 fluid in my system is non silicone based. Halfords "high-performance "Dot 5.1 was the best I could get at the time. Still it meets and exceeds the Dot4.1 standard. Only Dot5 fluid is silicone based and is not recommended in road cars and cars with ABS and should only be used in systems designed for it. It's difficult to flush out and does not mix with other types of fluid.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Excellent info as always C, I did think that you needed to replace the 4 more than the 5 but the explanation above is simple enough for even me to digest easily.

Reaction score
Jonc said:
The dot5.1 fluid in my system is non silicone based. Halfords "high-performance "Dot 5.1 was the best I could get at the time. Still it meets and exceeds the Dot4.1 standard. Only Dot5 fluid is silicone based and is not recommended in road cars and cars with ABS and should only be used in systems designed for it. It's difficult to flush out and does not mix with other types of fluid.

Good point on the Dot 5.1 v Dot 5 Jon, dot 3,4 and 5.1 are Glycol-Ether based where as Dot 5 is the silicone one.

It still amazes me the amount of people that think the silicone fluid is the bees knees [-X

Chris