Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ok, this may sound a bit random or stupid. But how does everyone dry their cars after a wash and what products do they use to do it.

I have my car permagarded and want something to get her nice a dry after a rinse. I have never been a big fan of the shammy leather but maybe its cos i bought cheap and nasty ones.

Just wanted to see if there is any amazing towl type thing outthere.

Reaction score
Not got Permaguard, so I don't know how well these products would work with the finish on your paintwork, but I use a aqua blade (basically a big, soft windscreen wiper blade) to get the water off the panels, and then I use Autoglym's synthetic chamois to dry off any water left on the car.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
This is kindof to do with this, has anyone fitted one of those filters to their hose to avoid watermarks? washed mine in the sun on Monday-mistake.

P.S. Spent a lot of money on a nice big chamiose(?) which i rinse often.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for the comments, any links to this or anyother products would be good.
Acua balde, cant find this on google

Cheers

nbc

Reaction score
I use a Flexi-blade to get rid of the water then get the rest off with a Maguires Micro-fibre cloth. Works well. Have a look on the autoexpress website under products and the best are listed in there.

I'd still avoid washing in full sun though, nothing worse.

Reaction score
If the paint is clean & waxed most of the water will bead off on it's own.

After thats beaded the worst off I use AG's chamois with clean warm water & a splash of Quick Detailer in it.

Reaction score
I recently bought a meggy's water magnet (which is a towel type material) on the back of some detailing posts that I read on CS and another detailing site that they had links to. It seems pretty good, just glides over the surface, only problem is it's very hard to get it to absorb every last bit.. They say it should help to cut down on swirl marks.. It's machine washable too.

Reaction score
Add a drop of dish washer rinse aid to a bucket of clean water, and use this to rinse off detergent, avoids most of the water marks without drying!! We have spring water at home so I just spray it and leave to dry - no marks.

Reaction score
I'm the same as OliS, Autoglym California Aqua Blade and Artificial Chamois (much better than a real one and the blade doesn't have any hard parts so can't damage the car). Don't rinse it in the sun or it'll dry and watermark before you wipe it off (if you have no choice, use a wet chamois to get rid of them).

Reaction score
I did know someone who used to dry there car with a leaf blower - no joke!

I find it best to use a flexi-blade on the roof, windows and bonnet to get rid of all the standing water and then use a large waffle weave type drying towel all over to finish.

In fact I been testing some new detailing products today including a new brand of waffle weave drying towel that I'm looking to import in as part of a new business venture.

Reaction score
7MAT said:
I find it best to use a flexi-blade on the roof, windows and bonnet to get rid of all the standing water and then use a large waffle weave type drying towel all over to finish.

Which waffle weave towel do you use 7MAT? Do you have to really wring it out tight in order to get every last drop of moisture off the car?

I had heard that using a blade was highly likely to scratch the paintwork - I have a turtlewax one that I used on my last car but haven't used it on the Tophy in case I end up leaving marks... :?

I'm also about to invest in a wash mit and bin the sponges...

Semi related, does anyone know if the permaguard guys cure swirl marks when they give the car it's annual treatment?

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
7MAT said:

Which waffle weave towel do you use 7MAT? Do you have to really wring it out tight in order to get every last drop of moisture off the car?

I had heard that using a blade was highly likely to scratch the paintwork - I have a turtlewax one that I used on my last car but haven't used it on the Tophy in case I end up leaving marks... :?

I'm also about to invest in a wash mit and bin the sponges...

Semi related, does anyone know if the permaguard guys cure swirl marks when they give the car it's annual treatment?

Currently I'm also using a Turtle Wax flexi-blade purchased from Halfords, as long as you keep it clean it will be fine on the paint. I find it works best if you wipe it after each stroke (normally on my jeans). :oops:

I've never had to wring out a drying towel to finish the job, the one I was evaluating today was 20" x 40" in size from a new company in the states.

Hoping to negeotiate an exclusive UK distribution deal with them at the Sema show later this year so for the time being I'll keep quiet about the brand. :wink:

Just buy the biggest you can get. A decent wash mitt is also a must. The deeper the pile on the wash mitt the better as this pull the dirt away from the surface preventing paint scratches.

Reaction score
I tried one of those Aqua Blade things a while back but it ended up getting chucked in the cupboard after the first use - i was convinced it was leaving faint scratches even if i kept wiping it.

I soon went back to the natural chamois - these days though i use the Autoglym synthetic chamois as i reckon its actually better than a natural one - no streaks or scratches and its very absorbant.