Ajr

Reaction score
Following on from the rear seats and doorcards thread...

I know it's a common problem for the clio steering wheels to melt and the thumb grips to fall apart. I thought my wheel was fine, but recently i've noticed the wheel is slowly melting where my hands sit on the wheel.

And to be honest the standard "leather" is ugly and crap. I'm aiming to get it redone in nice perforated leather like VAG top end models have, my old vRS had it and was so much nicer to hold. And will get the thumb grips done in alcantara for good measure.

Anyone had theirs trimmed? Pics please :D

Reaction score
myne is the same i've just bought a nice length of grey leather and i'm gonna give it a bash i will post pic's once i've done it .

tony.

Reaction score
I've thought about looking to get the whole wheel done in alcantara. Mine is beginning to worry me, it's getting a slight sticky feel and my palm prints appear to be melting into the wheel, I suppose that's a useful identifying feature if it ever gets stolen.

Reaction score
Are there any replacement steering wheels?

Do Momo or someone! Do a steering wheel with airbag and cruise control?

Ajr

Reaction score
Not that i know of ^

I shall be getting it retrimmed in nice dark grey perforated leather and black alcantara. Just trying to find a well reputed trimmer in the south east!

Reaction score
Interesting, be good to see finished product.

I ve been looking but none can act as a replacement to controls.

Ajr

Reaction score
Indeed, the standard wheel is cool anyway.

Hmm i wonder about a red stripe on the top of the wheel, 197/R26 style ;)

My fabia vRS had a nice perforated leather wheel, same as passats, TTs etc and it was the most comfy wheel i've ever held, and i drive a fair few different cars! It was nicely padded, soft, very grippy, looked good and was tough wearing too.

The standard clio wheel, although according to renault it's a leather steering wheel, appears to be made from crappy imitation leather which has a few downsides; melting, looks shiny and cheap, doesn't grip as well! Real leather is the way forward.