Reaction score
I'll probably change my Trophy for a DC5 Integra in WHITE,the Trophy is my weekend/fun car so practicality isn't an issue.

Mainly a DC5 because i have a thing for Honda,always riden Honda motorbikes,currently have a CBR600F1.

But i am also missing having a Prestige type car,i miss my Boxster S alot,the sports car thing is very addicitve and having driven new Boxster S/Cayman/911 they are all amazing drives.
But i drive the Trophy and i know i will not have as much fun in a Prestige car other than for how it looks/badge etc.

So i think i've just talked myself into keeping the Trophy for a lot longer!!!!!!

Reaction score
Dream cars would involve selling my every day car as well - then RS4 or Cayman. As an aside am waiting to see if Audi do a 170 bhp plus diesel - that with DSG could be quite interesting, particularly as the Mk II can be made to handle respectably - and would run in the up to 1,400 cc class and be a good road car - very low tax class.

To replace the Trophy is very difficult, as most modern cars are going the smaller engine plus turbo route - which is no use for competition. As I explained the other day the JDM Civic R seems a non-starter - too heavy and to long. The Clio only needs 193 bhp to have the same power to weight ratio. Short of going the Elise/Exige route, which is not my scene, there is nothing on the horizon- so it looks as though I shall remain faithful

Reaction score
caterham handle better than an Exige LOL think not.

I always wanted one untill I drove one and now you could not give me one for free :).

ok a new R400 maybe but as a road car they suck, and they are not that great a track car.

But they do not handle better than a lotus thats a fact.

Reaction score
I'm confused MrD06, I can't work out if that whole post was being sarcastic, just some of it or none of it. That's the trouble with these forum thingies, you can't hear the intonation in someone's voice.

You think a Caterham Seven is a better or worse track car than an Exige?

G

Caterhams are, as you would expect, fantastic on a track.

Reaction score
Original 1.3 106 Rallye and a 600cc sportsbike...just splitting up with the missus and selling our house etc, so it may be time for me to go crazy and get a bike, but I couldn't afford to keep the Trophy as well! :cry:

Just got to wait and see how the next couple of months pan out...

Reaction score
Mines my every day car will never go on a track or be modified apart from its itg filter . I just cant think of any thing in its price range or + £10.000 i want that would do every thing my trophy does so well mpg, handling , performance and most of all grin factor .

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
OliS said:
Original 1.3 106 Rallye and a 600cc sportsbike...just splitting up with the missus and selling our house etc, so it may be time for me to go crazy and get a bike, but I couldn't afford to keep the Trophy as well! :cry:

Just got to wait and see how the next couple of months pan out...

sorry to hear that, what's the bigger loss - the missus or Trophy?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
MrD06 said:
caterham handle better than an Exige LOL think not.

I always wanted one untill I drove one and now you could not give me one for free :).

ok a new R400 maybe but as a road car they suck, and they are not that great a track car.

But they do not handle better than a lotus thats a fact.

Colin Chapman would turn in his grave... not that i need too much evidence but where did the lotus come and where did the R400 come in the Road and Track car in the last Evo.

I love the exige, don't get me wrong, but i've driven both on track and I can only say this... 3 seconds a lap quicker in the dry, 5 seconds when it got wet.. plus much more controllable at the limits.

The exige, as a road car that does the track thing, is exceptional - possibly as an overall package something that does top a caterham but as as out and out track stat, i'm sorry the Caterham has it licked.

Reaction score
Defo fancy a bike especially when the sun is out!!

I ve been a passenger in a 7 once and loved it but that was the guys weekend toy, he was an ex biker who had bad accident at work so opted for 7. Nice with filter sticking out of side and custom de cat pipes wow.

My old man had a boxster for 24hrs last Monday fantastic engine but it rattled like a clio and general inside was very plastic to feel. Nothing special compared to a new tt or z4 inside. However, that engine and noise O MY GOD!! From second at 2k revs it just pulled and pulled and pulled. Brilliant. Old man said he would love to put Boxster engine into tt.

Boxster was 3.2S.

Reaction score
Cue said:
sorry to hear that, what's the bigger loss - the missus or Trophy?

Cheers Cue, life can be a bit mental, one minute you are booking up your wedding day, the next you are working out where it all went wrong! :?

The bigger loss!?! All I know that right now driving the Trophy is about the only thing that is keeping me sane, going for a blast takes my mind off things...will only sell the Trophy if the option of getting a bike becomes a reality. Car wise, for the money there is no car I would rather have than the Trophy! :D

Reaction score
What bike would you get?

I fancy a 99 R6 - cheap to buy cheap to insure.

Or 03 Ninja 636 - cheap to buy but expensive insurance.

Or any GSXR just been reading about Suzuki factory and how they make and test the bikes very interesting.

Reaction score
Sorry to raise my hill climb experience again, but in general the Caterhams are quicker than the Elise - of course if is always difficult to compare the relative states of tune/ chassis development. There was a Caterham last year with a Hyabusa engine that was well into single searer territory - absolutely staggering.

Reaction score
I wasn't really asking this, I think everyone who knows anything about cars knows an Exige can't compete with a proper Seven on track, the fact that they weigh 300kgs less aside, the engines are more powerful!

There's not much that can touch an R500 for lap time, except maybe Donkey's S2000 engined race car. A Caparo T1 (Which by Caterham's naming system would be an R1400) would punish it but then it should for 7 times the money.

I was asking MrD06 what he thought was 'better' ie. more fun, more challenging etc.

Reaction score
P.S. I don't think Colin Chapman would turn in his grave, he designed the original Seven 50 years ago to be a very cheap sports car, to make some money before the next proper sports car was launched, he sold the rights to one of the dealerships - Caterham Cars because he didn't want Lotus to have a kit car image. The fact that versions of his original design are still dominating the track car scene and beating a little plastic car he didn't design would not bother him, I think. The Europa would though, just because they're owned by Proton doesn't mean they have to look like them does it?

Reaction score
Leave of the Europa it's a gorgeous car!

Pocket supercar I would call it especially with glass rear to see engine.

Reaction score
No Europa for me. VX220 is nice but only decent one is VXR.

Very similar cars but with very different prices.

Europa 0-60 5.5 not bad but handles like go kart.

VX220 0-60 5.6 but slower still handles like go kart!

VXR 0-60 4.2 WOW WOW WOW!

Still think Lotus would be more of a pleasure to own.

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
What bike would you get?

I fancy a 99 R6 - cheap to buy cheap to insure.

Or 03 Ninja 636 - cheap to buy but expensive insurance.

Or any GSXR just been reading about Suzuki factory and how they make and test the bikes very interesting.

If insurance works out then hopefully an R6, if not then maybe something like an Aprillia RS250, won't sound great but apparently a great ride.

Reaction score
Great in corners but you'll soon get bored of how slow it is on straights. The 250 like plus they go through oil like I dunno what!

R6 is what I want but need somewhere to keep it. Saw a lovely example on ebau last week 13k 2 owners and in rare silver. Lovely. Went for 2700!