Reaction score
i had a meg F1 behind me it really did look cool! but i supose the Trophy would look awsome on the road behind me too! lol the clio is an awsome car and will be hard to replace,

id be tempted by Evo FQ340 i had a STI 8 PPP 8 months ago was awsome but £50 petrol every 4 days! :shock:

Reaction score
7MAT said:
One day and probably not for a while as I'm enjoying the Clio but eventially I would like to get a Caterham 7.

Good choice Matt

We will be doing the same or an Exige S2 in chrome orange however can not see us replacing the Trophy for a while yet.

the M coupe goes this weekend :cry: end of an era for me.

Max

Reaction score
I love this dicussion and spend a lot of time thinking about it myself.

I too plan to keep the Trophy and add to the collection as funds allow. Have been thinking about buying something cheap recently as 95% of the miles I do are at 30mph in a line of traffic driving to work and back.

A Hayabusa powered Westfield with LSD will be next, 400 kilos, RWD, sequential box and 180hp. :D

Reaction score
Obvious choices for me. It's between a 350Z, E46 M3 or 3.4 996. :? I know everyone loves the 993 but It's getting on a bit! Not changing for a while though.

Trouble is, nobody pulls out of the fast lane for a clio. :evil:

Summer is gsx-r 750 time again though :D

G

The main thing that attracts me to the Megane R26 over the Trophy is the extra refinement that it would offer.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Max said:
I love this dicussion and spend a lot of time thinking about it myself.

A Hayabusa powered Westfield with LSD will be next, 400 kilos, RWD, sequential box and 180hp. :D

At goodwood on the French breaky day there was a westfield busa. sounded great and then when i saw the back it had a huge logo on the back saying Turbo busa. I Want one!! :lol:

Reaction score
Luke335 said:
Obvious choices for me. It's between a 350Z, E46 M3 or 3.4 996. :? I know everyone loves the 993 but It's getting on a bit!

The 350 is nice but fairly underpowered for what it is and quite wallowy, have also driven the supercharged version which has been gracing the magazines recently.

the E46 M3 is a joy to drive and great in every way IMO, the 996 c2 is so clinical its not all that much fun.

I would go for the M3 out of the choices given (and I own a 996, although not a C2 or C4)

Reaction score
I'll do what I did when I bought the Trophy:

Clear my mind of all prejudices, do some serious homework and work out what fits the bill best.

Last time the answer was a Trophy, the criteria being:

Back seat
Sub 8.0 secs 0-60 time
Less than 4.1m long
Reputation as good driver's car

Next time the criteria may have changed but I'll worry about it then.

Reaction score
I'd definitely step back into a Trophy if I was back in the UK. As people have said its such a great package and unless I was in a position to make a significant move up the automobile food chain I couldn't see anything I'd feel compelled to have over it. Zed, M3, R26 are cool and manageable, but not cool enough :wink:
I don't miss the steering wheel, high seat position or motorway driving in it, but that said its so much stinking fun!
To apply a little North American forum parlance: Trophy FTUW :D

Reaction score
I was looking for a Caterham or similar to accompany the Trophy, but I didn't really see much under £10k that fitted the bill, kit cars included. I've had an Elise and wouldn't have another unless it was Honda powered.

So there's only one option - two wheels! Taking my bike test next month :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Pah, Trophys eat bikes for breakfast :-w

Good luck with that test tho.

Reaction score
I'm getting dangerously tempted by an R26 now. Dealers down the road have got a black demonstrator at the moment and have expressed a keen interest in taking the trophy off my hands.
I'm starting to think that it might be a good idea. I haven't got the luxury of being able to have two cars and have had to be 5 up on a number of occassions recently for long journey's. Really don't like the idea of crashing the Trophy with anyone on board, let alone 3 people in the back.
Plus the R26 seems to look really small in Black!

Reaction score
Think I may keep Trophy for ever and ever!

Bike for me next R6 or Ninja or GSXR!! Or all three if I win lottery.

Car wise I d love a lotus but it would be a complete chore to live with as I am 6ft 1 and not slight shall we say!

EVO8 MR mass appeal and would love the idea of 4x4.

I also fancy maybe an old car - 80s xr2 or a mini. Just for the crack or old 200sx for the DrIfT!!

Reaction score
Very interesting thread this, It's amazing how similar people's ideas are, I guess it's that most Trophy owners know a fair amount about cars which is why we own one.

I too am thinking along the lines of E46, 350Z or a Caterham/Westfield. The Seven would be a project though, I'd actually go the kit route so will have to wait till I set up my workshop!

The Trophy's actually a big car for me, and practicality isn't really an issue, I'm just about to go outside and take the rear seats out. I got a T45 bit yesterday in Halfrauds.

Ideally I would keep the Trophy forever, it just does everything a hot hatch should so well, an R26 would be great but in my opinion it's no replacement for the Trophy. if both were new now, it would be no contest. the Megane is just too big and heavy, not really a hatch at all really, it's heavier than a Mondeo used to be. It's just a very good front wheel drive car, you can't compare it to a 205 GTI, Williams or Trophy.

Imagine how quick a Trophy would be with a Quaife diff fitted, quicker than an R26 round the track, no question. It might suffer in other areas though.

Reaction score
Seats out! They look cheap (and they are) but not particularly light, along with skipping breakfast this morning I reckon I've saved 15 kgs at least! I wanted to know how easy it would be to do this the morning of a trackday, the answer is very. Took about three minutes to undo the three bolts (2 Torx T45 and 1 T30 bolts), then it just slides out. The seat back weighs the most, more than the Isofix bar (which incidentally is the entire black metal piece not just the bar as I thought) I removed the jack too as that weighs more than the entire rear seat assembly!

Off to try it out on the road now, it sure looks cool with just two Recaros in there.

Day

Reaction score
LOL @ Mat

If it rains on that trackday Steve you'll be wanting all the weight back in!

Reaction score
I have had a TT, 350Z one tuned to 280Bhp and the Z to 380Bhp
both not that much fun but the TT is a much better car imho, the 350z is just dull.

last car was a CSL which is just a great car but alass just to expensive to run.

but this is much more fun than either of those and goes well with my Trophy

frontq.jpg