is1

Reaction score
I've finally relented and decided to fit the intemittent wiper stalk. I have a very good guide on how to fit it.
However, it does not state exactly how to remove the upper steering wheel cowling/cover. There don't seem to be any screws holding it in.
Does anyone know how to remove this?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
IIRC you just wrap your fingers underneath the front of the cowling and tug up. I wrote up a how to guide but its saved on the PC at work if you can wait till tomorrow.

is1

Reaction score
Hoolio
That's fine, thanks. It will be a Sunday morning job I expect.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Finally had mine done last weekend and fairly straightforward. Another toy to play with rather than the annoying standard stalk. Give me a shout if you get stuck as fresh in my memory!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
you'll need a smallish flat headed screwdriver and T10 and T20 torx bits.

1/ Steering wheel---Rotate wheel right hand down 90 degrees so cross member is on the vertical.
2/ Remove top cowling--Slip your fingers into the space between the front edge of the cowling and the dash, curl fingers under cowling and tug up. It should pop off easily.
3/ Remove audio stalk-- You can now see the top of the steering column, follow the audio stalk to where it dissapears into the column and you should see a small window (if you wiggle the whole stalk you should see it moving in the window-the window is about 7by 5mm) place the flat headed screwdriver against the right hand edge of the window and push down, you are pushing down on a clip and the stalk should now just slide out. Unplug leads, the block will only go back on the way it came off so don't worry.
4/ Bottom cowling-- Undo the three screws using the T20, now you've removed the audio stalk it should just drop off.
5/ Ignition surround-- This black plastic ring with some wires coming out will just slide off, no need to unplug wires just leave it hanging but make a note of it's positioning for when you slide it back on.
6/ Remove wiper stalk-- Unplug leads going into the back of the wiper stalk then undo the two screws that you see going into the front of the stalk using the T10. Stalk will slide out.
7/ reverse the process to put back together.

A couple of other things, you don't need to disconnect the battery, i didn't. Don't forget to thread the leads of the audio stalk through the hole in the bottom cowling before you screw it back on. And lastly check all plugs are firmly pushed including those you haven't touched before you close up, i managed to dislodge some that brought up warning lights.

is1

Reaction score
That's great, thanks Hoolio.
I thought I would be able to resist doing the changeover but in reality, given our climate, I have had to given in, it's ridiculous the way it has been set up. Surely the intermittent setting should have been about 5 seconds apart at least. Did they not test drive the things?!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It's not as clear an explanation as I remember but I was always supposed to add pictures. It is an essential mod though, I find that I adjust it without thinking to the strength of the rain.