Reaction score
I have bounced off the rev limiter a few times now at around 6,700rpm. The rev counter shows a red line at around 7250rpm. Is this a miles thing - have done ~1200 - is it a problem, or are they all like that? It feels like it could easily do more revs and I could certainly use them when overtaking.

Reaction score
Think that it is 7,200/7,250 - but why hang on as you are well past peak power. My complaint is that the warning light is so small and tucked away that it is impossible to spot when going for it.

Reaction score
I'd need to see a std power curve before I commit but the car doesn't seem to come on cam until about 5k which leaves me less than 2k of revs before I have to change gear.That's less revs than my turbodiesel Golf!

On a quick 2nd gear 40mph overtake of dawdling traffic I'm barely alongside before I suddenly lose forward motion as I bounce off the limiter and unexpectedly have to slam it into 3rd. It makes the Golf a much better overtaking tool as I can put my foot down in 3rd at 1,800rpm and surge up to 70mph at 4000rpm (redline 4,500rpm) without frantic gear changes. Alternatively, a few years ago I had an Integra type-R wich would rev to nearly 9k and "go Vtec" at around 5,500 - plenty of revs to get past other traffic. I'm astonished at the narrow power band in this Trophy.

Another 500 or so rpm would therefore work nicely. More importantly, has my rev limit been set too low? Will it suddenly change as the ECU decides the car has been run in enough?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
the car has a limiter that inhibits revs when the oil is not warm enough, hence the early cut. it takes a good 10 - 15 mins to warm up. Its there to protect the engine from being ragged when cold.

once the car is warm, you will find the car will rev right up until 7250 rpm, and it makes a big difference.

hyb

Reaction score
peter_964rs said:
I'd need to see a std power curve before I commit but the car doesn't seem to come on cam until about 5k which leaves me less than 2k of revs before I have to change gear.That's less revs than my turbodiesel Golf!

On a quick 2nd gear 40mph overtake of dawdling traffic I'm barely alongside before I suddenly lose forward motion as I bounce off the limiter and unexpectedly have to slam it into 3rd. It makes the Golf a much better overtaking tool as I can put my foot down in 3rd at 1,800rpm and surge up to 70mph at 4000rpm (redline 4,500rpm) without frantic gear changes. Alternatively, a few years ago I had an Integra type-R wich would rev to nearly 9k and "go Vtec" at around 5,500 - plenty of revs to get past other traffic. I'm astonished at the narrow power band in this Trophy.

Another 500 or so rpm would therefore work nicely. More importantly, has my rev limit been set too low? Will it suddenly change as the ECU decides the car has been run in enough?

I find it more then enough revs, obviously with a turobdiesel you got bags of grunt to get past, my previous s2000 revved to 9000rpm and my trophy feels very similiar to that, although you had to use the gears a lot more in the s2k, whack it in 3rd and it pulls nicely to overtake with the trophy

Reaction score
matt the cat said:
the car has a limiter that inhibits revs when the oil is not warm enough, hence the early cut. it takes a good 10 - 15 mins to warm up. Its there to protect the engine from being ragged when cold.

once the car is warm, you will find the car will rev right up until 7250 rpm, and it makes a big difference.
Interesting..
well, as i'd just driven about 20 miles I think the car was warm enough!

ps i don't mean to denigrate the Trophy at all; I'm just surprised at the engine characteristics compared to others

Reaction score
Trophy No.
yeah, it is a weird one.

all renaultsport clios are the same, 172 and 182's that is - not sure about the v6 though.

maybe get renault to check the oil temp sensor, should be really warm by that time.