Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for some feedback and advice if possible, i'm thinking about taking the plunge and buying myself a nice low mileage Trophy but the one thing that concerns me is the possible depreciation on the car - ideally what i am looking for is a car thats going to hold its money fairly well. I know that no car is never going to be an investment but there are some that are do better than others (Elise, Mini, etc) and i like to think that due to the reputation and exclusivity of the Trophy it could be a decent buy.

I've had some nice cars (e30 M3 Evo, Cooper S, FF 182 w/Cup packs, etc, etc) and know the Trophy would put a smile on my face but i also need to think about resale value this time round as its quite possible i'll either be buying a house next year or going travelling so would need to sell the car to free up cash. (and if none of those comes up i'll probably be keep the trophy for a long time if its as good as everyone says)

I know the 'hot' Renaults seem to depreciate pretty quickly and i'm afraid that although prices are holding fairly high for Trophy's at the moment - they may take a big dip with some people taking the view thats its an outdated model and theres also the imminent introduction of a possible 197 Cup or Trophy. I've also heard of people being offered around the 9-9.5k mark for 55 platers at a dealers.

They dont seem to book in Glass's guide which might give the dealers a bit of free reign when pricing them e.g. lower prices, comparable with a 182 but then theres also the fact that this forum and Steve at allvehicles could ensure that the prices are kept at a fairly solid level.

So if i shelled out 11k of my 'hard earned' cash for a tidy 1 owner low mileage car now - what do you think it'll be worth a year down the line? Assuming its still mint, low mileage and standard... I'm thinking 9k private and approx 7.5k trade?

Any input/feedback/opinions welcome...

Attachments

• 25032010347.jpg
    25032010347.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 25032010348.jpg
    25032010348.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
see the other thread linking to pistonheads, thats a good price and i reckon you might be able to sell at about 10k in a years time..... best person to ask for advice on values is allvehicles

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
if your looking at the hatchback mkt you aint gonna get a better buy.

general principles are:

look out for exclusivity, desirability, quality, performance, 'legendary' status, cost or parts and usability.

in virtually every department the Trophy wins against not just its direct competition but the league above it (Golf's, Focus etc) I think even in a cpl of years the trophy should be pulling in circa £9-10k. Plus as its a rarish car, as more and more go to the way side it'll increase in value.

only other expample that springs to mind is the origional R5 turbo (first incarnation not the T2) wich was mft in ltd numbers for the rally series. that now sells for 3 imes its origional mkt value due to only 400/500 being mft and the 'legendary' status it holds.

Reaction score
I think if your in the market for a trophy, get one while you can.

Limited no' ensure it will hold onto most of it's value.

Some on here bought new for 12.5K, so they have had free motoring for a year.

As for trading in at a dealer for 9K, what nob is going to do that :!:

As with any car, if it's desirable it's bound to hold up against other similar cars.

Every year the numbers diminish again keeping them rare.

Look on autotrader, some traders are asking 12K+ for them, traders know a good thing to invest in & trophy ticks all the boxes.

Reaction score
Would agree with Cue. Also few cars are depreciation proof but these stand up well. I expect 05s to be selling around £9000 in a year or so, and 55 around £10000. A few more will be written off and more will be bought by people who won't sell them, maintaining exclusivity. Don't forget as they get cheaper more people who want one can afford one which should prop up the prices too. I expect them to sit around the £8000 mark for quite a while when the time comes. The one thing that might slow down the sale of some cars is any 'previous' or if they have a lot of owners - already people are hanging out for unmarked one owner cars. If they really turn out to be iconic then in 20 years they will still be worth £10000 - see RS500 Sierras at £20000 then and now!

Trophys only sell over £12000 with no p/x if they are special condition and low mileage, traders asking more are going to have to wait (forever if my sales are anything to go by) or they have loaded a price to offer an over-allowance. Presige car dealers - who seem to be acquiring Trophys have a habit of doing that to enable them to take in niche cars with lots of owners!

Reaction score
Well how much do you think mine will be worth in a year or so's time with it being only 1 of 5 made ever ever ever!!!! (AFAIK) :p :lol:

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback people, much appreciated. I think i'm going go go ahead and buy one (i knew i would) so i've just posted an ad with my car requirements in the 'Wanted' section.

So if anyone feels like selling up or knows of any cars that might fit the bill, please drop me a PM.

Cheers

BC