Reaction score
Hi,

I need new dampers on my trophy and was thinking to replace them with coil overs. I have had a look at k tec and there are a few different ones. Can anyone advise which is best replacement to sachs.

I wont the car to feel same or better if possible.

Ive been reading about all the problems with sachs suspension how they leak and need of re builds. By having coil overs i wouldnt need to worry about that.

Please help?

Cheers

Joe

Reaction score
Don't think they'd be better than a rebuilt Sachs, which would cost less: plus without the Sachs it wouldn't be a real Trophy!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If you want the car to feel the same or better just get them refurbished, I don't understand why you think you need different.

Reaction score
Rebuild on sachs damper is about 150 pound or dearer depending on condition. thats 300 pound minimum for two. can pick up coli overs for 500 pound brand new which would never need replacing.

what u think

Joe

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Replace three thousand pounds worth of dampers with five hundred? I thought you said you wanted it better, it really won't be.

Reaction score
Sell the Trophy to someone who will look after it, buy a cup and put coil-overs on that. The sachs are a defining feature of the Trophy. You'll massively devalue the car taking them off.

Reaction score
ano the suspension is perfect for trophy and thats what makes it what it is. But end of the day if its costs me hundreds of pounds to maintain the dampers then its not worth it just to keep it as a trophy. Plus i use my car on track days and would work out alot cheaper for me to change to coil overs.

Was going to buy a cup but for the money i would get for mine wouldnt be worth changing. Mine i get the recaros and AC.

Mite just get an RS and use the T on track days

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
nickboazracing said:
Sell the Trophy to someone who will look after it, buy a cup and put coil-overs on that. The sachs are a defining feature of the Trophy. You'll massively devalue the car taking them off.

Agree! If you wanted a car with coil overs, why buy a Trophy when the special thing about it is the suspension?? Madness!

The cost to refurb the suspension is around £450 and only needs doing around every 4-5 years depending on use. I would spend the money you are looking to spend on coilovers and get them refurbed and use the Trophy for what it was designed for.

Reaction score
agree. but when you can buy cup suspension for about 200 pound all round why buy coil overs.

Reason why i was buying coil overs was to not have to get them refurbed every 4-5 years. I use my car on track days and dont fancy spending 450 pound as you say for refurbs.

One damper is damaged and i have rang bg motor sport and they said it is fooked. So thats grand for new one.

Just not worth it.

Reaction score
front passenger side. also need new spring. If rebuild didnt cost that much then it would be worth it. Buy by sounds of it im looking at over 1k to sort out, whcih i dont wont to spend.

Do you know if dampers can be rebuilt if damged?

Cheers

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
BG motorsport are the ones to ask. I would have thought but it depends on the extent of the damage. If you've bent it for example then no.

What have you done to break the shock and snap a spring? Hit a big hole?

Reaction score
Yeah its bent. I hit a wall. Had a look underneath car and looks slightly bent.

Thats why i was thinking of getting cup sus or coil overs n then maybe keep my eye out for 2nd hand dampers.

what you think i should do

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
If it was a temporary thing, I would bung some sup shocks on there, keep an eye on eBay and then replace them with Sach ones when you come across them.

Can you not use the car for a bit and save the money you would put towards the cup shocks towards Sach dampers? Either way I would return the car to Sach dampers as anything else would be wrong.

Or sell the car now and buy a Cup. If you were to put coil overs on the Trophy and sell it, either no one would buy it as it's not a Trophy or they would but for not much money.

Edit - If you hit a wall, can't you go through your insurance?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Best replacement for Sachs?... for the car to feel the same or slightly better you need to refurb them, For a better option for track work you would need to spend around £1000 on coilovers and getting them setup correctly, but then you lose the Trophys unique handling characteristics on the road. It costs £450 to refurb both dampers. If you think changing to coilovers is a cheaper option as far as handling is concerned you are wrong.

P.S if its the damper rod that is bent then the rod can be replaced i think, if the casing is bent then your looking at a whole new damper.

Reaction score
Yeah ano.its just coming across 2nd hand sachs. I mite just bang some sus on n then look out for sachs.

My number is 128.

let me know if you know anyone selling sachs cheap.

Yeah ben thanks for that, ill look and see if thats true.

Cheers