Spark plugs and engine oil

Reaction score
Hi 2 things what engine oil would you all recommend? Also my trophy doesn't always start first time in the mornings, its done 30k. starts perfect second time. Do you think this will just be the spark plugs need changing, if so what plugs would you recommend? Cheers

Reaction score
mattd1984 said:
Hi 2 things what engine oil would you all recommend? Also my trophy doesn't always start first time in the mornings, its done 30k. starts perfect second time. Do you think this will just be the spark plugs need changing, if so what plugs would you recommend? Cheers

My 172 only ever started 2nd turn so it may just be a renault thing :?:

Think TDC sensor was replaced & that cured it!

I have always used Shell Helix Ultra in my cars, at 18K my oil is still like it came out of the bottle, maybe 2 or 3 oil changes a year is excessive :D

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The spark plugs are good up to 72K so they wont need changing.

Mine sometimes doesnt start first time either, think its normal and nothing to worry about. My ignition seems to be on a timer, it trys to start for about 3 seconds then stops while the key is still turned, and i think sometimes the 3 seconds aint long enough so you have to try again.

As for engine oil, I was recommended Silkoline Pro S 5W 40, so I use that.

Reaction score
With regards to the starting it seems to start then die straight away then second time its fine

Reaction score
Mine is exaclty the same on starting.

Not everytime usually when cold.

Always starts instantly on 2nd attempt?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
makes no difference if it's for track days or not 5w40 is the oil temp parameters, all 5w40's have the same parameters just not all identical at the molecular level.

Shell or silkolene - i prefer the silkolene but i guess until i hit 200k miles i won't be able to tell if it's been a good decision ;)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Do you do any track days or just road use with that oil?

Aint been on track yet but im hoping to start going on track days early next year, So it will be used for both road and track use and changed every 6 months or so. Ive only just started using it about 100 miles ago .