Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone find the brake and clutch pedals slippery wet damp or wet, being made from ali?

I found this a problem in my 172 and still do in the Trophy. A couple of times my foot has slipped off the clutch all together when very wet, thankfully without harm.

On my previous 172 I made a new pedal, from carbon fibre, to the same profile, size and shape to replace the brake pedal. It had the same curved profile, but without the "dimples" and was covered in 3M "Safety Walk" grip tape which is used as standard on pedals in every car type and level of motoracing i've been involved with. It was then just bolted to the main pedal with a couple of countersunk bolts in place of the ali pedal.
It was a very simple and plain, but highly functional pedal! It brought me much more confidence on trackdays, in wet weather and in general fast road driving.

I sold that car will the pedal and am now going to make one for the Trophy.

To gauge some interest, would anyone else be interested in purchasing one or a pair made either from carbon or glass fibre? I'd happily make a few in one go. I'd have to get an idea on numbers before I could give a definate price, but the glass fibre would naturally be cheaper.

If you're wondering why I didn't just buy a pedal set, it's because at that time it only cost me an hour after work, and nothing more, plus I only wanted a smooth pedal for grip tape, without any finish on it.

If there are requests I will make a sample so I can put picture up on here.

Cheers,

Nick. :)

Reaction score
yes my ek9 was a rx model which had the ali and that had the rubber on like tha pic above and my foot has also slipped off the brake on my 200 lately it's a nightmare is there no way of drilling out and getting some rubber inserts made ?

Reaction score
For my rally car I applied an adhesive to the pedal and then applied an anti slip grain (looks like sandpaper), similar to the anti slip strips you find on many applications. This works very well and I've never slipped off the pedals with it.

Reaction score
I've just order some anti slip tape now to do the pedals in the Trophy! It's not the same as I did in my rally car as I had the pedal box out as it's a bit of a messy job. As soon as I get round to putting the tape on the pedals I'll post up the results. I'm hoping it should look pretty good!

Reaction score
In my experience the rubber inserts are just as slippy as the ali.

The carbon is plenty strong enough, it's only to replace the ali plate, not the whole actual pedal.

I'll post a picture when done.

Nick

Reaction score
nickboazracing said:
In my experience the rubber inserts are just as slippy as the ali.

The carbon is plenty strong enough, it's only to replace the ali plate, not the whole actual pedal.

I'll post a picture when done.

Nick

My subaru has rubber inserts and yes they may not be as grippy as propper rubber covers but are fine for most of the time.
Looking forward to the pics.

Reaction score
My pedals after adding the anti-slip tape. It makes a massive difference to the grip on the pedal, even though it's not added to the dimples. let me know what you think guys?

Attachments

• alloy-foot-rest-idea.jpg
    alloy-foot-rest-idea.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 87

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looks very good, a well worthy mod :)

In the wet the pedals are quite slippy, I noticed this the hard way on track the other day and made a mess of heal & toeing. Not so much a problem on the road but sometimes can catch me out.

Did you clean the carpets especially for the photo :wink:, looking very clean 8)

Ben

Reaction score
Thanks BenG! It's a mod that's well worth doing. It makes such a difference on the pedals and only cost £5.00 to do and of course a little patience. I've also made a template for it, which I can upload when I get time if anyone's interested in making some of their own.

I gave the carpets an extra clean with photoshop before uploading it! ;o) ;o)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've also made a template for it, which I can upload when I get time if anyone's interested in making some of their own.

Yes Please O:)