Reaction score
The SilverVision bulbs arrived today and look great!! They came with a free set of BlueVision parking bulbs too... :)

Would you guys think it is necessary to notify the insurance company (Directline) that I will put the bulbs in? :idea:

You never know with these guys... :!:

hyb

Reaction score
nah, its only a bulb! Most insurers only want to know about it if it increases performance, or adds value to the car

Reaction score
I called Directline to be sure - they told me that it is good I notify them and have made a note of it (but no change in premium).

My thought process behind telling them is this: If I had an accident and the other driver claims it is my fault because, for example, I did not indicate (when I had) then an investigative person from Directline may find my indicator bulbs non-standard and therefore void my policy.

You never know... they even want to know if I had floor mats in the car (as they are non-standard item)!

I also called to check if I could fit an exhaust. I have permission to do so, but they will charge £120 more a year (despite that I am over 25).

It's a crazy world.... :wink:

O.

Reaction score
In theory if you changed the bulbs and didnt notify them, the insurers could refuse to pay out if your car was stolen. They could say that the bulbs made the car more aesthetically appealing and more likely to steel.

Thats if they found out.

As an example of how banal (read anal) insurance companies are, when my dads megane was stolen, they measured the distance from where he left the keys (in a building next to the car) and claimed the distance was too close to the car and therefore he didnt take reasonable efforts to protect the car. Despite the fact the keys were in his jacket hanging up in a private club, not accessible to the public. I mean his car was in the car park and the building was were he was going to. Whats he meant to do store his keys in a building down the road? :roll:

He took the to court and eventually won. However. Be warned they are very anal.

Reaction score
Exatcly King. I don't like to take any chances, esp if it only costs xx pence to call them and tell them.

If you tell them everything then they can never have an excuse!

O.

G

King Stromba said:
In theory if you changed the bulbs and didnt notify them, the insurers could refuse to pay out if your car was stolen. They could say that the bulbs made the car more aesthetically appealing and more likely to steel.

This is very true, it might be just a bulb but insurance companies employ people to do nothing other than either reduce or refuse claims - and they're mostly on partially performance related salary so work it out for yourselves. Yes it is insane to be concerned about changing bulbs but it could conceivably cost you down the line.